Wish list addition, Netherlands style

This topic contains 12 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by Avatar of RiverRat RiverRat 1 year, 11 months ago.

Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    giddything
    Participant

Imagine the comment threads in the STrib if that were in Minneapolis. Epic!

Anonymous
    Participant

They put straw on the paths?

Frenchy
    Participant

A few months back I was at a meeting with urban designer Charles Landry (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Landry), who suggested that Minneapolis should heat essentially all roads in the city, at least downtown. He mentioned a city in Sweden with a roughly similar climate that does so and claimed it has done wonders for the health and vibrancy of that city. Can’t recall the name of it, obviously.

jitterjepp
    Participant

What are the energy/environmental impacts and costs associated with heated streets?

Is it less than plowing, salting and such which would still be necessary at certain times even with heated streets?

slowpoke
    Participant

@giddything wrote:

Imagine the comment threads in the STrib if that were in Minneapolis. Epic!

Imagine the whining from ranger78!

Frenchy
    Participant

@jitterjepp wrote:

What are the energy/environmental impacts and costs associated with heated streets?

Is it less than plowing, salting and such which would still be necessary at certain times even with heated streets?

Good question. The Interchange, the new transit hub next to Target Field, will use heat from HERC (the garbage burner) to heat its exterior surfaces when it opens in 2014. I imagine we’ll hear about its efficiency/environmental effects. At least, we should.

Nickel
    Participant

I think there are heated sidewalks but are there roads?

bc3
    Participant

There are a few blocks of heated streets and sidewalks downtown in my home town, Holland, MI.
    http://www.uponor-usa.com/~/media/Files/Technical%20Documents/CS_SnMlt_HollandMI_05%2006.aspx?sc_lang=en
    But I don’t see how something like this could work on a large scale like the city of Minneapolis.

Frenchy
    Participant

@Nickel wrote:

I think there are heated sidewalks but are there roads?

Heated sidewalks and plazas, but no roads. Won’t be a place to ride, but at least we’ll be able to see how the technology works here.

jitterjepp
    Participant

It seems like doing a retrofit on so many roads would be really expensive. I think that while it sounds really cool and would be nice I don’t see this becoming a reality. I’m also just a bit concerned about the cost to develop the infrastructure for this, the maintenance costs and the the environmental impact simply just so people don’t have to put tread on the snow.

Listen Buttercup, If you wanna save the environment you gotta buck up and quit being such a wussy. This Minnesota. It ain’t Florida. It’s gets real cold and it snows. Get used to it.

phaedrus
    Participant

@ebbmart wrote:

Four words:
    Bike Mounted Flame throwers.

FTFY.

:evil:

RiverRat
    Participant

@phaedrus wrote:

@ebbmart wrote:
    Four words:
    Bike Mounted Flame throwers.

FTFY.

:evil:

Yeah, that way you save gas while you are burning gas…

Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.