Winter Tires (not studded)

This topic contains 32 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by Avatar of forthetime_being forthetime_being 2 weeks, 1 day ago.

• Creator
    Topic
    ChrisAdyNelson
    Participant

I need to replace the tires on my Marin Nail Trail (winter bike). I have a set of studded tires for the worst conditions (overkill for most days). But I would like to get some tires that will be good for riding roads that are mostly clear, but may need extra traction from time-to-time. Looking for 26×1.95. Let me know what you think is the best compromise in traction versus rolling-resistance. Thanks!

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    omgmrj
    Participant

Conti answered your prayers this year. Freewheel has them at West Bank. I’m not sure which size we are stocking, though.

Anonymous
    Participant

@omgmrj wrote:

Conti answered your prayers this year. Freewheel has them at West Bank. I’m not sure which size we are stocking, though.

I’ve been curious about these. Anybody tried them?

ChrisAdyNelson
    Participant

@omgmrj wrote:

SWEET!

pizzaguy
    Participant

I’m curious as well. I’ve heard great reviews as far as ride quality and traction, and from the looks of it you’d probably get relatively low rolling resistance for a 1.9″ tire. The thing I want to know about is how well they last. It wouldn’t surprise me if conti used their softer rubber (to help with traction) which could shorten the life of the tire if you find yourself riding on dry roads/paths much, i.e. last winter.

It sure would be unfortunate to drop $65.00/tire, or whatever they cost, and have them start to wear out in less than 2000 miles. I guess the tire hasn’t been around long enough to give a good sample and for all I know it could hold up really well. Hopefully there is some feedback this winter.

omgmrj
    Participant

@pizzaguy wrote:

It sure would be unfortunate to drop $65.00/tire, or whatever they cost, and have them start to wear out in less than 2000 miles.

It’s better than breaking bones, or worse.

If they do in fact provide improved traction.

ChrisAdyNelson
    Participant

I got the Conti tires this weekend, rode Saturday for a test ride looking for snowy/icy roads (left from Friday’s 1-2 inches). The Conti tires were great on snow covered roads.

Sunday I took them out again, we had 6+ inches of snow when I went out. Some roads were plowed, some not at all. On the unplowed roads, it was tough going…. but I think that will be true for anybody without a fat-bike. On the roads with snow-pack or 1 or 2 inches of fresh, the Conti tires did very well.

For comparison, I put on the Arc Welders and gave another ride. The plows got to the unplowed roads, so I didn’t get a full comparison… However, I will say for the money, I would go with the Conti tires over studs.

I plan to post more updates as I get more miles on them.

giddything
    Participant

@ChrisAdyNelson wrote:

However, I will say for the money, I would go with the Conti tires over studs.

Can you say more about why? Is it that the grip is better than studs, or just as good, and other things are better? Or is it that the grip isn’t quite as good, but other issues (speed, noise, etc.) are better, so the tradeoff is worth it for you? Or some other combination of factors.

Not that it matters for me and my fun-sized wheels, but I’ve turned into the Person Who Knows about biking in my social circle, so I’d like to be able to give a not-completely-unfounded opinion. And some of the people who are asking me about stuff are probably more timid cyclists than you are.

ChrisAdyNelson
    Participant

@giddything wrote:

@ChrisAdyNelson wrote:
    However, I will say for the money, I would go with the Conti tires over studs.

Can you say more about why? Is it that the grip is better than studs, or just as good, and other things are better? Or is it that the grip isn’t quite as good, but other issues (speed, noise, etc.) are better, so the tradeoff is worth it for you? Or some other combination of factors.

Not that it matters for me and my fun-sized wheels, but I’ve turned into the Person Who Knows about biking in my social circle, so I’d like to be able to give a not-completely-unfounded opinion. And some of the people who are asking me about stuff are probably more timid cyclists than you are.

Still need more “testing” since I only got a couple miles… My first impression is that the Conti tires offer nearly the same traction without the rolling-resistance of studs. Mind you, I’m comparing with the Acrwelder – 268 studs! The rolling-resistance may not be that bad with a lower stud count.

During my rides yesterday, in the deep snow and snow-packed roads, both tires had me putting a foot down to catch myself, but no falls with either tire.

Over the next couple weeks I will use both the Conti and Arcwelders on my commute and report more opinions/comparisons.

Florent-NZogbia
    Participant

Any recommendations for something fatter than the 700 x 37c? Perhaps in the 700 x 2.0 – 700 x 2.35 range?

Volsung
    Participant

Gazza extremes for sure.

ChrisAdyNelson
    Participant

This has been shared on MBL in other forums… great information for winter bike tires: http://varsitybike.com/studdedtires/

omgmrj
    Participant

If we’re now talking about studded tires, might as well put this old gem out there as well.

Florent-NZogbia
    Participant

Thanks for those links.
    I was looking for something similar to what ChrisAdyNelson was after (non studded) only in a 29 inch version. Wish the Continentals also came larger than the 37′s.
    At this point, anything would be an improvement over the Big Apples that I’m riding with now..

ChrisAdyNelson
    Participant

I still had the Arcwelders on the bike for this AM commute… I was happy for the 268 studs! I think I put every one of them to use. I will switch back to the Conti tires later this week, but I will say that I think they may come up short in these conditions.

Caaveman82
    Participant

I use the Continental contact tire. They come in fat sizes 700 x 32 or 37. Or you can step it up a notch, go a little heavier with the super tour plus at 700 x 42. They are not supple tires but they are wide enough to provide plenty of traction. I’ve ridden my 32′s around on this slick stuff without many problems. I air them down a bit and you just need to pay attention on stops and starts, but cornering and straights are fine. Sometimes If it is really slick I will purposely carry extra weight on my rear rack for traction on hills if I need to get out of the saddle to pedal.

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.