Winter bike cleaning in an apt.

This topic contains 13 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by Avatar of ACBC ACBC 1 year, 8 months ago.

• Creator
    Topic
    ralphy
    Participant

Title basically says it all. I’m about to switch from the xtracycle conversion to riding the hybrid, but I keep seeing this stuff about regular bike cleaning for winter riding. How do you do that in an apt?

I have an outside patio, but no water out there. I could bucket water out, (that’s what I do in the summer) but I don’t want a skating rink.

Tub? Won’t the drain get clogged? My tub drain has an integrated stopper, so the little mesh cup filter won’t work for me.

Viewing 13 replies - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    imp7
    Participant

Or you can bring your bike to freewheel on the greenway and use their bike shower. I can’t remember if it’s $5 or $15, I know there is a 5 in the amount. But yea, you can give it a good cleaning and then lube it up right there.

petechurch
    Participant

I use coin operated carwashes (like the one at the Nic. greenway entrance). Be sure not to spray directly into any bearings.

jitterjepp
    Participant

@ralphy wrote:

Tub? Won’t the drain get clogged? My tub drain has an integrated stopper, so the little mesh cup filter won’t work for me.

Roll up an old towel and run it across the bottom of the tub making a dam blocking it from going down the drain. Water goes over dam. Dirt stays back and gets cleaned up later.

I get pretty dirty at work sometimes and play in the dirt all the time and I’ve never plugged a bathtub drain. I’ve never used a towel dam while taking a shower. In fact I’ve never used this for anything. I just thought it up just now. Seems like it would work though.

ACBC
    Participant

I drive or ride my bike to the DIY car wash. $2 and you have a clean bike in a matter of minutes.
    Nothing like high pressure to clean the cassette and chain.

jitterjepp
    Participant

@AC/BC wrote:

I drive or ride my bike to the DIY car wash. $2 and you have a clean bike in a matter of minutes.
    Nothing like high pressure to clean the cassette and chain.

Works well until you ride a geared bike there and the cassette freezes up and pedaling gets you nowhere.

I used to do this at the car wash on 22nd and Lyndale. The cassette would be frozen before I got to 22nd and Hennepin. I have to carry my bike home from there.

omgmrj
    Participant

Pretend you’re on a fixed gear and don’t let the pawls disengage.

ChrisAdyNelson
    Participant

Does your apartment have a garage? You can use the bucket wash technique in the garage without the skating rink…

On the deck you have, you use a little rid-ice product after washing to keep it clear.

I’ve never showered with my bike, but it does sound like kinky fun!

ralphy
    Participant

@ChrisAdyNelson wrote:

Does your apartment have a garage? You can use the bucket wash technique in the garage without the skating rink…

On the deck you have, you use a little rid-ice product after washing to keep it clear.

I’ve never showered with my bike, but it does sound like kinky fun!

There is a garage available, non-heated. I’m too cheap to pay the extra. I strongly suspect that ice caused by spillage would generate a complaint from the landlord.

I may have to try the bathtub thing and hope for the best on the drain issue.

giddything
    Participant

I winterized my bike the best I could and now hope for a nice protective coating of dirt.

DangHeim
    Participant

@ralphy wrote:

…I could bucket water out, (that’s what I do in the summer) but I don’t want a skating rink…

Exercise caution with this method, my friend.

Volsung
    Participant

@bat56 wrote:

@AC/BC wrote:
    Nothing like high pressure to blast water, dirt, and road salt into your bearings and frame.

ftfy

Hope hubs are pretty well sealed. They might be able to handle it.

ralphy
    Participant

@ebbmart wrote:

@ralphy wrote:
    I may have to try the bathtub thing and hope for the best on the drain issue.

Seriously, no hope needed, it works fine. Spend about $3-5 on one of these:

Invert it over your drain, and check on it periodically, in case it get bumped.

Won’t work for me, I have one of those tub drains with an integrated stopper that I can’t remove. I’d show a pic, but I’m at work. (and my tub is dirty)

ACBC
    Participant

@bat56 wrote:

I’m not being a troll – but you’ve got the bottom bracket and headset too.

I have taken the advice that it is not a good idea to move a bike in and out of freezing conditions. I let the frozen stuff attach and stay attached.

I’ve used pressure washers on bikes for years. Never had an issue. I’m carefull about how close I get with the nozzel to certain parts of the bike and where im aiming the thing, ext.

Works slick. It’s “touch-less” and takes very little time. I just wouldn’t use pressure on an older bike that doesn’t have sealed bearings.

FWIW i use a lower pressure sprayer, not a 3000psi paint stripper.

Viewing 13 replies - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.