Wide mtb shoes

This topic contains 12 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Avatar of kuando kuando 1 year, 7 months ago.

• Creator
    Topic
    Reverborama

I’ve been wearing a pair of Bontragers for a couple of years but I’d really like something with a little more room up front.

Shimano made the M087E which has recently become unavailable and replaced by the M088E. I recently tried on a pair of size 49 M088E’s and was very disappointed. They didn’t seem any wider than any other shoe I’ve ever tried on. It didn’t even seem worthwhile to check out the 50′s in that model.

Anyone have any suggestions? I’ve been looking around since August but haven’t had any luck at all.

Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Caaveman82
    Participant

I know they cost quite a bit but Sidi is the way to go. I have wide feet and they are the only shoe that has ever fit me correctly. The pair I have is second hand and have been in heavy use for at least 11 years if not more. I highly recommend them.

Chilly-Willy
    Participant

I have size 13 1/2 EEE feet, for reference. I’m wearing Pearl Izumi’s X-ALP SEEK IV shoes, in size 49. They’re a touch shorter than I’d really like, but not bad. They have barely enough width for me.
    I’m pretty happy with them, though I don’t have a whole lot to compare them with. And REI carries them so you can try them on locally.

Reverborama

Ah, I can hit REI at lunch. I see Penn carries them, too. And Freewheel carries Sidi. I haven’t shopped for the shoes since August when I zeroed in on the M087/M088′s — no one in town had them in my size and when I found a pair on line it still took over 3 months to get them since everyone was back-ordered. So the disappointment of them not fitting was extra bad. I’m just going to have to make the rounds of the bike shops again. They don’t often carry as much stock for the ample-footed rider so I might have to hit a few places before I find some pairs to actually try on.

The main problem finding information about shoes online is they change the models every 18 months or so and every review or thread you find is a years old — so the information is all but useless.

Chilly-Willy
    Participant

I hear ya.

Also, I just remembered. A couple weeks back Freewheel West Bank had some Keen Austin Pedal shoes in size 14 just sitting there waiting to be grabbed up. They fit my feet great. But they’re a little more stylish than functional, and I was looking for winter options, so I didn’t nab them. If you’re in the area and they float your boat you should see if they’ve still got ‘em.
    http://www.keenfootwear.com/us/en/produ%20…%20al/shitake

Reverborama

Hmm… I picked up some Keen sneakers this spring and wore them all over China/Taiwan/Hong Kong for 2 weeks and they were incredibly comfortable. The weird thing is they were size 15 Wide. I don’t even know what possessed me to try them on at DSW the night before we left for the trip or to buy new shoes for a trip (sounds like something guaranteed to cause blisters) but it couldn’t have worked out better. They didn’t have 13′s or 14′s so I have no idea how those would have fit. If I could find the stiff-soled, spd compatible equivalent to those shoes, it would be perfect.

Reverborama

Hit REI at lunch. They don’t stock the really big sizes in the store. I did get to try on a 48 Pearl Izumi somethingorother and a 47 Keen Austin. The Keen was very encouraging. I really need to try that in a 49. But where can a guy find that in town here? I’d love to buy from a local shop.

Caaveman82
    Participant

Are you looking for a relaxed mountain shoe where you can get off the bike and walk around in comfort or are you looking for a performance mountain shoe?

If you are looking for the first then keep on track with those keens, they are awesome and they run a little wider than normal. There are not a ton of places that carry them at the moment though.

If you are looking for performance then Sidi is the ticket. I have worn them while biking all day. I have worn them while on and off the bike for long periods of time. They are awesome. They have held up through snow, salt, rain, mud, and just me in general, which I can usually kill a high quality pair of shoes in about 6 months. These Dominators have held up for 11 years, I am impressed.

Chilly-Willy
    Participant

I stopped in at Freewheel West Bank yesterday. The have the Keen Austin in 14 and 15. *And* they’ve got them for 40% off. Get thee to Freewheel, sir. So I don’t have to buy them myself.

Reverborama

On my way!

Reverborama

Yow! Picked up a pair of size 15 Keen Austin Pedals at Freewheel for $72 (40% off the original price).

Very comfortable but that sizing is crazy. They call it 48 in European and 15 in American. The 14′s were listed as a 47.5. I don’t know how anyone is able to order shoes on line. I could never hope to guess what’s going to fit me.

Chilly-Willy
    Participant

@Reverborama wrote:

Yow! Picked up a pair of size 15 Keen Austin Pedals at Freewheel for $72 (40% off the original price).

Very comfortable but that sizing is crazy. They call it 48 in European and 15 in American. The 14′s were listed as a 47.5. I don’t know how anyone is able to order shoes on line. I could never hope to guess what’s going to fit me.

Awesome. I’m glad you found something you like. Except that means the 14′s are still there, and I think that’s the size that fits me. I might be forced to go buy them.

Yeah, sizing is whack. I’m wearing 49 in Pearl Izumi’s. I think my Sidi’s are 49, too – but are smaller. And the “47.5″ Keen’s fit me. There’s no way to know until they’re actually on your feet.

kuando
    Participant

Giants.

Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.