What’s your shell?

This topic contains 15 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by Avatar of FreeRangeZombie FreeRangeZombie 1 year, 4 months ago.

• Creator
    Topic
    FreeRangeZombie
    Participant

So what are you kids using for an outer shell these days?

My cool/cold weather gear usually consists of a few wool base layers and a Sherpa or Marmot coat, but this will be my first winter biking where my route is longer than 5 miles (14 miles each way) and I’m curious what you commuters entrust your comfort and lives with during the winter.

I still need to find some goggles too. Saw some on on Steep and Cheap but missed out.

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    lsboogy
    Participant

Gore

giddything
    Participant

@lsboogy wrote:

Gore

Don’t say that to a zombie!!!!!

FreeRangeZombie
    Participant

Mmmm…. brain matter and blood shower

Volsung
    Participant

Pearl Izumi Elite Softshell. Breathes pretty well and has long arms. Forearms sweat a lot around 30 degrees and warmer, but it’s well worth the 100 bucks.

Caaveman82
    Participant

Other than the day it snowed which I used my Mountain Hardware jacket I have not needed a shell really. I just wear wool jerseys.

I have a Gore alp x 2.0 on order though, so when it gets colder that should be good to go.

Nickel
    Participant

Mountain Hardware shell. Windproof is key.

Anonymous
    Participant

I like my old boiled wool army shirt. It’s densely woven and warm, but some air gets through, and most days that’s a good thing ’cause it keeps me dry.

I use an impermeable shell only on the coldest days.

giddything
    Participant

I’ve been pretty happy with the Gelanots fabric in my jacket.

(I’m returning the jacket for other reasons, but the fabric has been windproof, waterproof, and breathable as advertized.)

Dan
    Participant

I have an E-Vap Plus jacket from foxwear. http://foxwear.net/clothing/jackets/ I have been real hapy with the jacket as well as two pairs of foxwear pants. All of their stuff is custom sized and his prices are great considering the materials he uses and the custom sizing.

jitterjepp
    Participant

For me it’s got to be breathable for riding. I don’t really care about anything else and in most cases all I need is a wool sweater over a long underwear shit and a cotton t-shirt.

After I stop and steam off I put the shell on.

Wind proof seems to translate into not so breathable which sucks. I can wear a sweater and stay warm while still getting rid of sweat.

I work outside all winter long. I’m up high in the wind and cold and I also ride to work some of these days. I have some ideas about how to dress for staying warm that haven’t been so popular with some folks opinions. But they work inside all day long so I don’t listen to them.

FreeRangeZombie
    Participant

@jitterjepp wrote:

Wind proof seems to translate into not so breathable which sucks. I can wear a sweater and stay warm while still getting rid of sweat.

I work outside all winter long. I’m up high in the wind and cold and I also ride to work some of these days. I have some ideas about how to dress for staying warm that haven’t been so popular with some folks opinions. But they work inside all day long so I don’t listen to them.

I bought a ZeroXposur shell a while back because it was cheap and I really needed a jacket. I hate that thing. You wear it for 5 minutes and you’re sweating like hell.

What do you do for work?

Cotton seems like an odd choice, but i’d be interested to hear why you choose that, but that sounds like a “what’s your baselayer?” Thread

phaedrus
    Participant

I’m a bit odd, but I use a 3/4 length synthetic motorcycle jacket. My old one was a Kilamanjaro which I replaced with a Belfast after being struck by a car.

They’re a bit heavy, but what I like is:

* Moderately waterproof and quite windproof.
    * Zipped or velcro’d vents for some temperature modulation
    * Armor. Pavement seems harder in the winter.
    * Pockets.
    * Have some retro-reflective fabric portions
    * Ballistic fabric is tough
    * Armor.
    * They tend to come with either zip in liners for more warmth as well as waterproof over-jackets for those freezing rain days.
    * Armor.

If I rode a bike with more leather and wicker, I’d probably try and find an oil skin one, but the synthetic ones fit my current needs/wants.

giddything
    Participant

@phaedrus wrote:

I’m a bit odd,

Nooooooooo.

I have a friend trying to talk me into that. Of course, he’s also trying to talk me into buying his scooter when he upgrades. :)

jitterjepp
    Participant

@FreeRangeZombie wrote:

@jitterjepp wrote:

I bought a ZeroXposur shell a while back because it was cheap and I really needed a jacket. I hate that thing. You wear it for 5 minutes and you’re sweating like hell.

What do you do for work?

Cotton seems like an odd choice, but i’d be interested to hear why you choose that, but that sounds like a “what’s your baselayer?” Thread

I do metal work outside. Fancy stuff, commercial stuff and residential stuff. Mostly executive level homes and commercial. The photo is from part of one of the more fancy projects I’ve worked on. So today that and maybe tomorrow a DOT snowplow building – which I have done a few of.

Cotton? Creates a kind of r value layer between long underwear shirt and wool sweater. Yes I know about cotton and what different fabric is good for and not good for. I’m not swimming in the cotton in the winter. Just using it a layer of thickness between undershirt and sweater to keep wind back.

FreeRangeZombie
    Participant

@jitterjepp wrote:

@FreeRangeZombie wrote:

What do you do for work?

I do metal work outside. Fancy stuff, commercial stuff and residential stuff. Mostly executive level homes and commercial. The photo is from part of one of the more fancy projects I’ve worked on. So today that and maybe tomorrow a DOT snowplow building – which I have done a few of.

Cotton? Creates a kind of r value layer between long underwear shirt and wool sweater. Yes I know about cotton and what different fabric is good for and not good for. I’m not swimming in the cotton in the winter. Just using it a layer of thickness between undershirt and sweater to keep wind back.

That makes sense.

very cool work.

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.