Unacceptable Language

This topic contains 26 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by Avatar of giddything giddything 1 year, 9 months ago.

  • Creator
    Topic
  • #789065
    Avatar of Jukebox-Gyro
    Jukebox-Gyro
    Participant

    As we all know, many people find many words offensive. Some don’t find any words offensive.

    What is acceptable language on Bikelove? Is it an anything goes approach? Is there a line a person is not allowed to cross? Where is that line? Is it more of an “unwritten rule” scenario?

    My broader point is this: users of this forum can talk about what is and isn’t acceptable. A consensus will not be reached. The ultimate decision rests with the proprietors of this forum.

    Thank you in advance for your clarity on this matter.

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #793471
    Avatar of JenNastix
    JenNastix
    Participant

    I don’t agree with censorship. I think folks can say what they want, but they gotta deal with their comeuppance.

    #793472
    Avatar of omgmrj
    omgmrj
    Participant

    ^This.

    While we’re on the subject, what’s the deal with self censorship? I’m talking about this. If you wish to use the wit of the witless, you should go all-in, right? Censorship of this nature is usually used when a message changes delivery platforms but the message must remain the same, such as a when the raw emotion on a show like Jerry Springer is shown on FCC-regulated broastcast television.

    #793473
    Avatar of kn_mpls
    kn_mpls
    Participant

    @omgmrj wrote:

    ^This.

    ^That.

    That said, the line appears to be drawn at “cunt”.

    #793474
    Avatar of DangHeim
    DangHeim
    Participant

    While I generally steer away from any serious discussion, I feel compelled to point out that this type of shitstorm* happens every half second on just about any other internet cesspool anywhere**. While I don’t condone what was said and I applaud the ladies for sticking up for themselves, I say we’re doing pretty good as is. Getting cyberslapped by people you might actually know in real life is enough of a deterrent for most people. Besides, I can’t think of another flameout of that magnitude that didn’t involve alwaysflat since, well, ever.

    Also, for the record, silence on that other thread != acceptance.

    *I can still say shit, right?

    **ETA: That doesn’t make it okay. Just saying we’re above an incredibly low standard.

    #793475
    Avatar of giddything
    giddything
    Participant

    @DangHeim wrote:

    While I generally steer away from any serious discussion, I feel compelled to point out that this type of shitstorm* happens every half second on just about any other internet cesspool anywhere.

    Ok, this is something that confuses me a lot.

    Where the fucking fuck are you guys hanging out?

    Because, seriously. It isn’t this bad everywhere. It’s really, really not. As I said, I’m not a fragile flower — I read widely. I’ve read even more widely in the past. My best friend has a four-digit slashdot ID and helps run a bigger forum, and he thinks this place is the pits. When a guy who laughs at goatse thinks your forum is a shitty place, you may have a problem. (Ok, he doesn’t laugh, but he just rolls his eyes.)

    BikeLove has 290,000 posts, 22,000 topics, and 6,000 members. My friend’s forum has 700,000 posts in 30,000 topics by 23,000 members.

    Does that forum have problems? Sure. But the community deals with them. They’ve got a posted moderation policy. They’ll warn, then ban. You might get someone using equally offensive language there. You won’t have epic followups about whether or not it’s ok to call out the offensiveness of offensive language.

    Anyway, that’s what I think the first real step is: a posted moderation policy.

    Reverborama said they would have done something about the original post, but nobody flagged it. No one knows what the mods will step in about other than spam and warez. And I guess calling things out is off-topic, which makes the whole “censorship prevents the community from working out its issues!” argument kind of tough for me to buy. But what else isn’t ok? What is ok?

    Inquiring minds want to know.

    #793476
    Avatar of DangHeim
    DangHeim
    Participant

    @giddything wrote:

    Where the fucking fuck are you guys hanging out?

    Me? Nowhere. I don’t have the time, interest, patience, intelligence, or burning need to fit in somewhere. But I like Bikelove because I actually know lots and lots of you (including you, R).

    However, I’m no internet rookie and I have read enough comments on news stories and have stumbled on enough random forums and other nether regions of the internet to know that while imperfect, MBL is above average. I mean hell, go to the craigslist biking forum right now and just see how bad it can get.

    So honestly, I don’t know what you’re referring to when you say “It isn’t this bad everywhere.” Because I don’t think it’s that bad. Yes, lightly moderated, but I guess I like it that way and historically it has worked out well in my opinion. In the last week, however, a couple people made offensive remarks, were called out on it, and either were repentant or not. It then spawned a reasonably intelligent discussion, but then I had to go and get involved. It’s also important to restate that no one flagged the post(s) in question, but Reveborama still worked some mojo and made it abundantly clear that it ain’t cool. What else do you want?

    Overall, however, I don’t have time to be serious about this. I work 80 hours a week and come home every night to a beautiful daughter with a fairly serious disability and a beautiful wife with a fairly serious medical condition. I have enough serious shit to deal with, so I’m not interested in being serious about the internet. If you disagree, maybe we should talk it over next time we ride bikes together or next time you come over to brew beer (hopefully we can do either sometime. You’re fun to hang out with). Also, Jill drank your cider before I could tell her it was yours. Sorry.

    In closing, this video makes me laugh.

    #793477
    Avatar of giddything
    giddything
    Participant

    @DangHeim wrote:

    It’s also important to restate that no one flagged the post(s) in question, but Reveborama still worked some mojo and made it abundantly clear that it ain’t cool. What else do you want?

    Well… I think the way it got handled also makes it abundantly clear that speaking up isn’t cool, either. Maybe my impression is mistaken. But I know I’m not the only one who has it.

    Overall, however, I don’t have time to be serious about this. I work 80 hours a week and come home every night to a beautiful daughter with a fairly serious disability and a beautiful wife with a fairly serious medical condition. I have enough serious shit to deal with, so I’m not interested in being serious about the internet. If you disagree, maybe we should talk it over next time we ride bikes together or next time you come over to brew beer (hopefully we can do either sometime. You’re fun to hang out with). Also, Jill drank your cider before I could tell her it was yours. Sorry.

    In closing, this video makes me laugh.

    Aww. Not everyone has to be serious on the internet, and I don’t think it’s bad to avoid or ignore the discussion. What I don’t like is denigrating it as stupid/boring/offtopic, and you haven’t done that.

    I left the cider on purpose, you know. Host gift something or other. :) I hope she liked it!

    That video is better than Cats.

    #793478
    Avatar of DangHeim
    DangHeim
    Participant

    Protip: If you take exception to something, feel free to call them out on it without fear of being off topic. Shit, 99.999999% of this board is off topic. I’ve been the recipient of such posts for stupid boneheaded behavior, for which I tried to apologize to those I offended and those bits got swept under the cyberrug and I doubt anyone remembers any of it. Just make sure to report said posts to the mods and write in why. It’ll either get sorted out, or it’ll die if people feel too uncomfortable to jump in. What happened with this particular case is it got too serious for too long and it choked the thread. It doesn’t mean this place is full of heartless bastards, it just means people were scared to post stupid gifs and whatever shit which is what the internet is for.

    The next time we hang out I’ll tell you about hereNT and his sale of the board to Bicycle Theory. Seriously, it may answer some of your questions about mods and such.

    Wanna kill the rest of the day? Here, try this.

    #793479
    Avatar of kn_mpls
    kn_mpls
    Participant

    @DangHeim wrote:

    …post stupid gifs and whatever shit which is what the internet is for.

    Word.
    @giddything wrote:

    My best friend has a four-digit slashdot ID and helps run a bigger forum


    Sorry, couldn’t resist.

    #793480
    Avatar of omgmrj
    omgmrj
    Participant

    wtf is a slashdot?

    #793481
    Avatar of giddything
    giddything
    Participant

    @omgmrj wrote:

    wtf is a slashdot?

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slashdot

    I just meant he’s been on the internet forums since forever. People offer him money for that ID. *rolls eyes*

    If you don’t know what goatse is a) be grateful and b) do not post that here.

    #793482
    Avatar of DangHeim
    DangHeim
    Participant

    I actually thought it was a typo and you meant goats. I’m going to keep it that way.

    Edit: Heh, you did actually mean goats. Kinda.

    #793483
    Avatar of bjorn
    bjorn
    Keymaster

    About once a year or so, some post, usually without intent, sets off a storm of anger, name-calling, linguistic analyses of gender roles in the cycling community, and renewed interest in the policies and practices of mplsbikelove.com.

    The topic in question was split off and locked because it had devolved and was interfering with the purpose of the thread, however trivial that may be. It was not intended to stifle discussion, sweep the problem under the rug, nor marginalize any participants or their opinion.

    MPLS Bike Love is a free speech forum. People can say what they will, others may take exception and argue, and we reserve the right to act if we think it’s getting out of hand. While we would like it if all of the conversation was enlightened, logical, and peaceful, it is not and will never be. We have neither the interest nor the resources to define nor enforce an ‘unacceptable language’ policy.

    While to some extent the community polices itself, and we have mechanisms for reporting problems, ultimately the site owner (my employer) and moderators have the discretion to handle situations like this as we see fit. It’s a community forum, but the community does not own the forum nor set its rules.

    Comparing our forum and it’s comment quality to other forums is a fool’s errand; we have a small number of active users with a very limited niche, a very small budget, and a handful of mods with full-time jobs and lives outside of the internet. We are not slashdot (a Dice Holdings property) or some other publicly-traded company with Fortune 500 ads mingled in with our witty banter.

    #793484
    Avatar of Stoller
    Stoller
    Participant

    Wow.

    I just spent the better part of an hour catching up on the whole shitstorm (is that word o.k.?) that went down around here, and I had to check whether there is a full moon afterwards. There isn’t. This community has seen its episodes of drama, but this is about the most inexplicable one I recall. Even so, aside from the point at which it reached personal attacks, I thought it was a reasonably constructive exchange.

    So now we have calls for a moderation policy. I’m against it. I’m sad about the decisions of some contributors to split, especially Hokan. I hope they return. However, I’d hate to see this become a place that can’t manage itself aside from the very much appreciated spam removal work by Reverborama (and others?). One of the most appealing aspects of this place is its freewheeling nature, and it would be a drag to see that disappear.

    If there are truly that many people who want a continuously censored bike community, they’re free to create it. It sounds pretty boring to me.

    #793485
    Avatar of omgmrj
    omgmrj
    Participant

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.