U looks to fix area biking problems

This topic contains 10 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by Avatar of phaedrus phaedrus 1 year, 6 months ago.

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    omiak
    Participant

Yeah I always thought it was obnoxious how the STSS building has all these plaques boasting about how “green” it is despite the fact that it’s filled with unnecessary flat screen TVs everywhere and its construction totally ruined the bike lane infrastructure by the Washington ave. bridge.

burnt
    Participant

STSS contributes to an existing problem because these days there are many more students taking many more classes than before when the “temporary but almost permanent structure” was in the same location. The northeast corner of the Washington Avenue bridge has been a high-traffic point since at least the late 1960s.

Currently, the bicycle traffic/pedestrian traffic is most troublesome when classes let out between mid-morning to early afternoon. I have to say the main problem is impatience on the part of my fellow cyclists. People on their superior steeds just need to chill and yield to peds when classes are changing over.

I am glad to see a consultant has been hired to assist with traffic-flow by STSS but I must say good luck. She or he is going to have to be a creative person to fix traffic at this particular choke point.

Nickel
    Participant

pannierpacker
    Participant

What about those bike lanes that end by a staircase on the west bank, just north of Washington Ave?

omgmrj
    Participant

@pannierpacker wrote:

What about those bike lanes that end by a staircase on the west bank, just north of Washington Ave?

Ride the stairs. Seriously. Life begins where your comfort level ends.

Edit: spelling

reptile
    Participant

@pannierpacker wrote:

Seriously…I have never understood why they don’t build a ramp at those stairs. I couldn’t believe it wasn’t mentioned in the article.

Nickel
    Participant

There is a ramp but it is blocked off by metal fencing.

phaedrus
    Participant

@omgmrj wrote:

@pannierpacker wrote:

Edit: spelling

I’m pretty sure I’d trash my bikes if I did that. My body heals but my bike doesn’t.

orangevening
    Participant

@phaedrus wrote:

@omgmrj wrote:
    @pannierpacker wrote:

It would provide ALOT better connection to bridge #9 (Very underused) and downtown. I met Steve and he is a cool guy, but I don’t envy his job. On the whole U of Mn has there head up their ass when it comes to biking in and around campus (even after the tragic death in Dinkytown not too long ago). They seem like they only do something when they absolutely have too.

phaedrus
    Participant

@orangevening wrote:

It would provide ALOT better connection to bridge #9 (Very underused) and downtown. I met Steve and he is a cool guy, but I don’t envy his job. On the whole U of Mn has there head up their ass when it comes to biking in and around campus (even after the tragic death in Dinkytown not too long ago). They seem like they only do something when they absolutely have too.

There appears to be some sort of construction going on at those stairs – hopefully a ramp is under development.

As for riding the stairs, if I had a different bike, maybe. I don’t think it would do any of my regular rides any good, especially not if done on a regular basis. I can’t afford to replace them.

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.