The official buckthorn thread

This topic contains 38 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by Avatar of FreeRangeZombie FreeRangeZombie 10 months, 2 weeks ago.

• Creator
    Topic
    Volsung
    Participant

Any advice on getting rid of small growth trees? My cabin has some growing along the edge of the woods, and constantly pulling it doesn’t seem to slow it down that much. I get that killing the main tree with roundup helps, but what should be done about the succors?

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 38 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    RiverRat
    Participant
    Jukebox-Gyro
    Participant

We have these in our backyard. They are officially the worst. My advice? Dig ‘em out. If you can’t dig them out, coat them in herbicide. I couldn’t remove one tree so I drilled several holes into the trunk and filled the holes with Round Up. It feels irresponsible to say it but seems to have worked.

Here is a good article from MinnPost:

http://www.minnpost.com/earth-journal/2012/02/letter-skunk-hollow-new-buckthorn-tools-enable-winter-warfare

FreeRangeZombie
    Participant

I do a lot of work with Parks & Rec and the NPS, and the general attack method is cut down the old growth and the saplings and then come through with Round-Up.

Some notes:
    1) The seeds can stay dormant for 5 years, so repeated treatments are necessary.
    2) Buckthorn loves disturbed soil. Digging one out actually makes the seeds in the soil happy as hell
    3) carry a set of clippers with you always
    4) their berries stain cement :(

I will post events I am a part of to see if some of you want to join in.

Snak-Shak
    Participant

Weed Wrenches are great, but they are a little expensive to buy. In my previous life, I was always looking for opportunities to donate these to natural areas when I could.

Sometimes you can borrow these from The Nature Conservancy, the DNR, nature centers, etc. if you check around. There is a link on the Weed Wrench page for a Weed Wrench exchange that might work out for you.

Volsung
    Participant

My saw attack didn’t work as well as I thought. Any tips on how to kill my neighbor’s 25′ tree without him knowing? I might be able to get some round up in the cut but I don’t think I could get enough in.

And thanks for the weed wrench link. Emailed my dad to see if he wants to go in on one. Why would their website advertise it working on Hackberry trees? Hackberries are awesome, cocks.

FRZ does NPS stand for Native Plant Society?

FreeRangeZombie
    Participant

National Park Service

http://www.nps.gov/miss/index.htm

Vik-Strong
    Participant

@FreeRangeZombie wrote:

) their berries stain cement

not only that, they make birds sick too :sad:

well, i dont know about sick. but i know that birds eat them and almost immediately excrete them. if they keep eating them they can get dehydrated and die.

omgmrj
    Participant

Caterpillars, on the other hand…

Just look at that happy little face!

chrisfl
    Participant

The Surly (beer) Gives a Damn crew has cleared buckthorn from a couple stretches of the Greenway, and we use weed wrenches. I highly recommend a wrench, since it was basically the only thing that could get out some of those nasty-ass root systems short of taking off and nuking the entire site from orbit.

Volsung
    Participant

My dad saw the website then called me to tell me he ordered the biggest one they had.

Reverborama

I removed a giant, 2 story tall buckthorn in front of my house when I lived on France Ave. 6 or 7 years ago. In July. I nearly passed out from the heat and exertion. I dug out the root ball, filled in the hole, laid out plastic and put river rock over it. I hope I never have to do that again.

Snak-Shak
    Participant

I have toyed with the idea of donating a Weed Wrench to the MN Valley National Wildlife Refuge or Wood Lake Nature Center or some such group with the stipulation that I could “borrow it back” at some point if I ever needed it. I don’t know if that would work for tax-deduction purposes, though.

That might be something worth considering for you anti-invasive types. It seems like it should be a “win-win”.

Vik-Strong
    Participant

the city of Shorewood has a weed wrench that they will lend out to people who live there. Other metro area cities might have the same thing going on. cant hurt to check.

FreeRangeZombie
    Participant

St Paul Parks and Rec needs help on June 23rd at Como Park

If you’re interested take a look at the link on this link

Volunteers are needed to help remove burdock in the Como Woodland Outdoor Classroom. Burdock is considered to be a noxious weed that competes with other native species. Burrs also attach to humans, animals, and plants, spreading the seed to a variety of different areas. The Saint Paul Parks and Recreation, Natural Resources Unit will be on hand to kickoff the event, provide training, and educate community members about the project. This is a fun family friendly event.

The Como classroom provides environmental education and historical interpretation for school children and adults, habitat for native wildlife, and an urban woodland oasis for the inner-city community where local place-based, hands-on environmental learning opportunities are rare.

FreeRangeZombie
    Participant

TOTH to the 40+ people on the RAVE on Saturday. A shit load of first year buckthorn got pulled and we had an awesome time

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 38 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.