The Hub West Bank

This topic contains 37 replies, has 19 voices, and was last updated by Avatar of River River 2 years, 4 months ago.

• Creator
    Topic
    bites
    Participant

I just had a ridiculous, annoying and insulting visit to the West Bank Hub on Cedar Ave today.

I stopped in to make a return on a Banjo Brothers backpack I had purchased from them about a week ago. The bag was completely unused and I had both the receipt and the tag that came with it. After looking it over for a couple of days, I decided I didn’t like the feel of the bag and I was put off by its inherent cheapness and poor quality.

Upon my arrival at the store, I first talked to a larger dude who was polite and turned me over to the woman sitting behind the “customer service” desk. I explained that I was making a return because I had changed my mind on the bag. I offered that the bag just felt cheap, and pointed to the busted stitching on the sternum strap that had come undone the very first time I really tried the bag on at my apartment.

The woman behind the counter then told me that since I broke the bag, I could only receive store credit. Amazed, I politely replied that it was “unacceptable”. This classy gal proceeded to roll her eyes and tell me to “calm down”. Amazed, I simply said, “I am completely calm.”

After 5-10 minutes of wandering around the store, some manager woman came out and tried to shove store credit at me again, saying that I would have to make a warranty claim on the bag with the company, because thats what they would have to do.

Finally having enough, I simply said, “You are blowing my mind right now. The bag is brand new. I never even rode with it or sweat on it. I need my money back.”

To which they finally relented and gave me a refund.

What the fuck?! Are you fucking kidding me?! It was a defective, unused bag with a week old receipt! Give me a fucking break! On top of that, what kind of clown tells someone to “calm down”?!

I’ve experienced my fair share of aloof, arrogant, careless and douchey morons at Twin Cities bike shops over the years, but that takes the prize.

The Hub sucks. Its lost a customer and gained a vocal antagonist.

Save your money for the fine fellas down at Hiawatha Cyclery. (I should have just shopped them in the first place.) Nothing but class from those guys every single time you walk in the door. Or if you are on the west bank, just go down a block to the Freewheel.

Seriously, fuck the Hub.

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    kuando
    Participant

@Shizzy wrote:

So you (perfect stranger) walked in with a used item and are angry they offered you store credit instead of cash? It had its tag removed and was damaged?

I would. Perfect stranger or not.

bites
    Participant

@Shizzy wrote:

So you (perfect stranger) walked in with a used item and are angry they offered you store credit instead of cash? It had its tag removed and was damaged?

Yeah. What kind of return policy is that? You should only expect to be able to make returns if you are “pals”? I had the receipt and the little Banjo Bros tag that came on the bag. What else am I supposed to have? It was an $80 bag the broke the minute I tried it on. It failed. Are you saying I shouldn’t expect to be able to make a return under these conditions? Bwa ha ha. You’re funny. Imagine if it would have been a $250 bag, or a $1100 bicycle. . .

If thats how they want to run their business, I guess thats fine. It’s just a great reason to spend your money elsewhere.

Not to mention the fact that they seem totally willing to talk to you like an asshole.

Maybe some people dig that sort of thing. I’m not one of those people.

fafnir
    Participant

Bummer, I have always had good experiences there, in fact it is one of my favorite shops. Happy to hear that you were able to return your bag though and it all worked out.

Anonymous
    Participant

@ImNewHere wrote:

Some stores, depending on size of the business as well as other factors, have these things called return policies. Seeing as you had purchased an item, taken it off of the premises, and used it, you are lucky that they even gave you a store credit.

I could buy all the bike stuff I need online. I go to local shops (and usually pay more) for services I can’t get from online stores and the ability to easily return defective stuff is one of those services. If I didn’t get that I wouldn’t shop locally.

fixiefemme
    Participant

I don’t know, dude. It sounds like you went into a store and refused to accept their policies, made a stink and they broke their rules just to make you happy. You’re taking time to slander a business that went out of their way for you because someone said calm down?

I’m only sayin because that’s where I go, and people have helped me change tires, and half the time the mechanics don’t charge me for little things.

To each their own.

bites
    Participant

@hokan wrote:

@ImNewHere wrote:
    Some stores, depending on size of the business as well as other factors, have these things called return policies. Seeing as you had purchased an item, taken it off of the premises, and used it, you are lucky that they even gave you a store credit.

I could buy all the bike stuff I need online. I go to local shops (and usually pay more) for services I can’t get from online stores and the ability to easily return defective stuff is one of those services. If I didn’t get that I wouldn’t shop locally.

That is the point. I WANT to spend my money locally. I want to keep my dollars in MPLS and not ship them off to JensonUSA.com or Treefortbikes.com or REI.com. All of whom will match or beat the local guys for price, offer a problem free return policy and ship the shit straight to my door. I want to shop the local bike shops and I do shop the local bike shops. (Especially the guys down the street and the fine fellas in S MPLS) I am happy to pay the difference in price because I am happy keeping my money in the local community. I simply expect not to be treated like an asshole. I expect a bike shop to stand behind the stuff they sell. I also expect the service to be BETTER than the online guys. If the local shops can’t win on price OR service, what is the fucking point? Other bike shops in this town will stand behind their product, offer you a hassle free return and not talk to you like an asshole.

I didn’t “make a stink”. I was not rude or out of line for even a second at any point in the transaction described above. I hate confrontation. I am polite to a fault, especially with people I do not know. However, when someone is rude or stupid, I am completely comfortable going onto the interwebs to “slander” a local bike shop on a forum in the specific section dedicated to bike shop reviews.

I’ve spent hundreds of dollars at the Hub over the years and I have not had a problem. That is why the giant pain in the ass on getting my money back, rather than store credit, on an $80 bag was so amazing.

Again, if thats how they want to run their show, that is their choice. It is just amazing to me that they would risk alienating customers in the age of omnipresent online bike shops and increasing local options with such shit policy and such shit personnel behind the counter.

But hey, if you enjoy a completely out of date return policy and the potential of being talked to like an asshole, there is a bike shop on 301 Cedar Ave S that would love to do some business with you.

That’s my bike shop review, and I am sticking to it.

Spend your money elsewhere. LITERALLY, spend your money elsewhere.

kuando
    Participant

From another POV, there are a lot of scammers out there, and stores are aware of that. Go to REI’s scratch and dent sale and you’ll see people returning four year old items and claiming that they were used just once or twice.

Stores adopt their policies through a combination of common practice and getting bit in the ass. Maybe the Hub has had one too many people try to pull a fast one on them?

Svenn
    Participant

This all sounds about right.

omgmrj
    Participant

There’s already a Hub West Bank thread with a less biased title over here.

Caaveman82
    Participant

I thought you were supposed to take reviews with a grain of salt, not tell the reviewer they are wrong for not being happy with the service they received. Weird.

I thought the moon was made of cheese.

fixiefemme
    Participant

I thought people would have moved on from this pointless rant by now.

El_Gordo
    Participant

when i was young i would try to see up the skirts of models in the JcPenney’s adds by holding the picture above my head while looking up. not much of a view.

moral of the story, if you dont like a certain business just STFU and go somewhere else.
    the end.

Anonymous
    Participant

“If you can’t say something nice, don’t say anything at all.”

Somehow that doesn’t seem to work too well when writing reviews.

I certainly want to know when a shop does it really, really right, but if they get it really wrong, I want to know that too. I wouldn’t base my perceptions on just one review, but when I read a bunch of them that does influence me.

Beau
    Participant

“I have spent hundreds of dollars at the hub over the years…” :D These comments always make me laugh when people return things. Some people spend thousands in one season, for years. What does that entitle those customers too?

Banjo stuff looks and feels cheap because it is cheap. For the money it is great stuff though.

If you would have contacted Banjo, you would have found their customer service to be top notch. Banjo offers “loaner” bags to locals while THEY REPAIR YOUR BAG BY HAND here in MPLS. Often picking it up by bicycle from you. Who does that????

So warranty claims are flawless with Banjo.

I would have just taken store credit, since you spend so much there anyway.

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.