scabby again

This topic contains 17 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by Avatar of Caaveman82 Caaveman82 1 year, 4 months ago.

• Creator
    Topic
    lsboogy
    Participant

Dang – the roads have changed. Yesterday, they were nice, snowy but no problems. Got home from work tonight (I drive) and got on the bike and rode over to get some food at the coop and went to Target – scabs like a few years ago – bouncing around again. Good thing I have studs on. I hope we don’t have another scabby winter

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    ladybug
    Participant

Ice warts like in 2009/10? I managed to pretty much avoid the streets yesterday, but I guess I’ll be finding out shortly what it’s like out there. Pleaeeeease no ice warts.

lowrah
    Participant

@ladybug wrote:

Ice warts like in 2009/10? I managed to pretty much avoid the streets yesterday, but I guess I’ll be finding out shortly what it’s like out there. Pleaeeeease no ice warts.

Less warts and more death ruts and brown sugar and packed ice sheets where I’ve been.

Anonymous
    Participant

@ebbmart wrote:

Ok, I get what a death rut is, but can someone post a glossary of street related snow/ice terms? Or is it all the same thing, like eskimos 100 names for snow…
    RE: ICE SHELF, warts, scabs… also brown sugar.

Buttons. Don’t forget the ice buttons.

drum_rugby_bike
    Participant

no joke, took an awesome comical fall while transitioning ice shelves/buttons/death cookies on Bryant today and landed in a snowbank laughing my ass off. maybe I’ll take the lakes home tonight

– ted-d

Volsung
    Participant

Just get a fat bike and redefine everything “shit I’ve smashed”

lsboogy
    Participant

Shelbyville is really really bad – cars stuck on the Marshall hill tonight. I got by them (thanks be for studded tires) and rode side streets. Got home and went to get some food with GF, and I am about ready to not drive in that place again – glare ice at all intersections of major streets, bad scabs (self explanatory), warts galore (little pops of ice that stick up), shelves all over the place, some brown sugar in highland, and thank heaven for the mashed potatoes on the side roads (really easy to navigate). I would not want to drive in St P tomorrow – riding will be much easier if you are traveling that way. About the worst roads I have seen in the last few years.

Participant

@ebbmart wrote:

GREAT, NOW DEATH COOKIES?!?!

This is great–I had always thought of them as turtle shells :) Can anyone see if Ebb’s head has popped from where they’re sitting?

Caaveman82
    Participant

I also heard the term washboard ice sheets.

How about ice hemroids, since it is such a pain in the ass?

ladybug
    Participant

How about ‘it effing sucks out there?’ Not looking forward to going out tomorrow after this stupid rain freezes.

lowrah
    Participant

Thank the Municipal Angels, St. Paul plowed on Saturday night/ Sunday morning. Things are a little better today. Whew.

Participant

In keeping with the thread title, today i woke up to find my commute Clean, Clear, and Under Control.

FreeRangeZombie
    Participant

Studs once the first snow drops.

Linden Hills has ice all over. Sucks.

Chilly-Willy
    Participant

I decided (this is my first winter commuting) to go ahead with the Schwalbe Winter Marathons. Go for studs. I feel so much more amazingly comfortable on the ice shelves and the slush and the ice slicks.
    I dunno about other studded tires, but these don’t feel like they slow me down on the dry pavement at all. They make a little crackling sound that sounds like you’re riding over sand, but other than that they’re golden.
    I’m happy to pay for studded tires and have peace of mind.

omgmrj
    Participant

Yeah, the Schwalbe Marathons are great all-arounders. You pump them up to 70 and they almost ride like slicks, or drop it down and they’re grip machines. Plus everything in between.

Their only problem is with snow over a couple inches deep, but honestly, what else do you expect with a 1.75″ tire?

Chilly-Willy
    Participant

@omgmrj wrote:

Their only problem is with snow over a couple inches deep, but honestly, what else do you expect with a 1.75″ tire?

True that. Add in the fact that me and the bike together top the scales at over 300lbs and there’s nothing short of a fatty gonna help with the deep snow.

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.