Sabo closed for repairs.

This topic contains 84 replies, has 32 voices, and was last updated by Avatar of jim_h jim_h 1 year, 9 months ago.

• Creator
    Topic
    timonster77
    Participant

I was just out for a run and was turned away from crossing the Sabo by a City of Minneapolis worker. He informed me that a couple of cables had snapped. He also said there were architects on their way. This was about 11:30. Hope it’s not down too long.

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 84 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    ChrisAdyNelson
    Participant

http://bit.ly/wk2xAm

Hiawatha light-rail service is suspended this morning spanning three Minneapolis stations because of late-night trouble with a nearby bridge, officials said.

Light rail is out of service between 38th Street and Franklin Avenue stations due to the closure of the Martin Olav Sabo Bridge over Hwy. 55 north of Lake Street, said Metro Transit spokesman John Siqveland.

The bicycle and pedestrian bridge was closed late Sunday after a cable support broke, which then led to the failure of two other cables anchored father east on the bridge, city officials said.

Crews are working now to put up shoring under the bridge deck.

Along with light rail being affected, vehicle traffic on Hiawatha Avenue is also off limits from Lake Street to 26th Street for what could be the entire day.

There is no firm word on how long before rail, road and bike traffic are back to normal.

“We’ll be in close touch with MnDOT all through the day to see how this progresses,” Siqveland said.

Metro Transit staff members are at the 38th Avenue, Lake Street and Franklin Avenue stations directing commuters to buses that are being called on to augment where light rail service is suspended.

Customers are advised to expect delays and to check metrotransit.org or Metro Transit’s Twitter account (@MetroTransitMN) for updates.

The Sabo Bridge is a 2,200 foot-long cable-stayed suspension span that opened in November 2007 to carry Midtown Greenway bicycles and pedestrians over Hiawatha Avenue.

prof
    Participant
    livewombat
    Participant

Thanks for the information. My husband just e-mailed me to say that he had encountered the detour, but with no information about what was going on.

jweb
    Participant

From the Strib:
    http://www.startribune.com/local/minnea … 87223.html

Emphasis mine

Hiawatha light-rail service is suspended this morning spanning three Minneapolis stations because of late-night trouble with a nearby bridge, officials said.

Light rail is out of service between 38th Street and Franklin Avenue stations due to the hasty closure of the Martin Olav Sabo Bridge over Hwy. 55 (Hiawatha Avenue) north of Lake Street, said Metro Transit spokesman John Siqveland.

The city-owned bicycle and pedestrian bridge was closed late Sunday after a cable support broke, which then led to the failure of two cables anchored at the top of the bridge, city officials said.

Crews are working now to put up shoring under the bridge deck.

Along with light rail being affected, vehicle traffic on Hiawatha Avenue is also off limits from Lake Street to 26th Street for what could be most of the day.

If everything goes well, rail service and traffic on Hiawatha Avenue could resume before the end of the day, said Mike Kennedy, director of transportation, maintenance and repair for Minneapolis Public Works. However, “it’s going to be some time” before the 2,200-foot-long bridge reopens, Kennedy added.

The cables that failed are the bridge’s longest and are the ones that reach to the very top of the span, Kennedy said.

The problem came to the city’s attention because “someone was out walking on the bridge [Sunday] night and came across the cable laying there,” Kennedy said. That person called 311, the city’s all-purpose hot line. From there, the call was routed to police dispatch, which then notified city street maintenance officials, Kennedy added.

Metro Transit staff members are at the 38th Avenue, Lake Street and Franklin Avenue stations today directing commuters to buses that are being called on to augment where light rail service is suspended.

Customers are advised to expect delays and to check metrotransit.org or Metro Transit’s Twitter account (@MetroTransitMN) for updates.

Kennedy said it’s fortunate that the bridge’s troubles came on Presidents’ Day, given that “the traffic load is a bit lower on a minor holiday.”

The cable-stayed bridge opened in November 2007 to carry Midtown Greenway bicycles and pedestrians over Hiawatha Avenue.

Its most recent annual inspection was in September, and “there was nothing we saw that got anyone’s attention,” Kennedy said, “so we are just as surprised as anybody.”

It was closed when I got there this morning… and they were just getting to shutting down traffic at the 26th street intersection.

Hopefully the bridge is still under warranty. Or maybe the city got lucky and purchased the ‘extended service’ plan.

imp7
    Participant

@jweb wrote:

Hopefully the bridge is still under warranty. Or maybe the city got lucky and purchased the ‘extended service’ plan.

lmao

ChrisAdyNelson
    Participant

@imp7 wrote:

@jweb wrote:

lmao

+1 Love it! :grin:

Reverborama

Wow — lucky this happened on a federal holiday where commuter traffic was light! I can’t wait to hear what caused the failure. Anyone have any pictures?

Snak-Shak
    Participant

It looks like the eastern-most cables failed at the top of the tower. Here are some photos I shot this morning.

Failed Cable on Sabo by Snak Shak, on Flickr

DSCN0312 by Snak Shak, on Flickr

DSCN0307 by Snak Shak, on Flickr

Snak-Shak
    Participant

Oops – we’ve got two threads on this one. I just posted some photos from this morning over here:

http://mplsbikelove.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=58&t=23025

kn_mpls
    Participant

Whoa. I wonder if the tension caused those cables to snap back when they broke from the post. That could have been deadly.

ChrisAdyNelson
    Participant

@Snak Shak wrote:

Oops – we’ve got two threads on this one. I just posted some photos from this morning over here:

http://mplsbikelove.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=58&t=23025

I saw that too, this likely belongs in Infrastructure, not General. Anybody know how to fit the parallel threads?

@spruce1 in STrib comment wrote:

This is why we can’t have nice things.

LOL

omgmrj
    Participant

BIKING IS DANGEROUS!!!! I”M DONE!!

scale
    Participant

i thought i read a post here somewhere earlier that some confused motorist drove over it with their car. I wonder if that over stressed it :)

I have to imagine it wasnt designed for this type of weight.

omgmrj
    Participant

Plowing would be quite inconvenient if it can’t handle the weight of a motor vehicle.

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 84 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.