Repair Classes

This topic contains 6 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Avatar of sbs-z31 sbs-z31 1 year, 9 months ago.

• Creator
    Topic
    Tilden
    Participant

Anyone know of a good bike repair class. Been away from bikes for a long time and would like a refresher in changing and repairing flats, basic maintenance and seat adjustment. I just bought a used Pugsley and need a little exercise.
    Thank you.

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Caaveman82
    Participant

http://freewheelbike.com/product-list/classes-pg324/

Group setting classes at Freewheel for all levels of student. They also offer individual lessons if you need it.

giddything
    Participant

Most of the bike shops have lessons. I can recommend the Hub very very highly but I don’t know anything bad about the other shops’ classes.

If you are looking for free, the community bike centers (Cycles for Change, Spokes) have them, too. You fix up their bikes, not yours.

lowrah
    Participant

Cycles for Change has bike maintenance classes that are free, and you work on your own bike. They are structured as small, group classes, and that’s where I cut my teeth on wrenching. It’s a cool space in St. Paul that does a lot for the local bike community, with an emphasis on youth programs and their Community Partners Bike Library.

SPOKES has open shop where you fix your own bike, and also offers free classes where you fix your own bike, and is located in Seward. SPOKES is a community bike shop that is just starting up, so they usually aren’t terribly busy.

Both C4C and SPOKES have times where you can come in and fix up their bikes. If that’s your thing, you can also volunteer fixing up kid bikes for Free Bikes 4 Kidz (seasonal).

I’ve heard good things about Hub classes, and Freewheel mechanics are really amazing and helpful, but the classes will cost you.

If you identify as a woman, transgender or gender-variant individual, contact me about opportunities through greaserag.org.

giddything
    Participant

@lowrah wrote:

Cycles for Change has bike maintenance classes that are free, and you work on your own bike. They are structured as small, group classes, and that’s where I cut my teeth on wrenching. It’s a cool space in St. Paul that does a lot for the local bike community, with an emphasis on youth programs and their Community Partners Bike Library.

Huh, my bad. When I took the overhaul class, I was messing with one of their bikes.

Tilden
    Participant

Thank you all for your help.

sbs-z31
    Participant

Cycle for Change is a awesome place but can get kind of busy on open shop night. If you’re looking to do basic bike maintenance and can’t afford the expense then go to C4C. In fact, tonight they’re teaching about hub adjustments and truing wheels at no charge. Hope you find what you’re looking for.

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.