RECOVERED – Specialized Tarmac Comp – black 58cm CF

This topic contains 16 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by Avatar of Reverborama Reverborama 1 year, 4 months ago.

• Creator
    Topic
    Kurt-Franke
    Participant

My Specialized Tarmac Comp was stolen out of my van on Tuesday, 8/14 night while we were at the Twins game. I was parked across the street from Target Field, in the lot behind the Minnikada Storage on 5th St N/3rd Ave N.

I am pretty sick about this. I have had this bike for a few years now. Know I’ll never be able to afford another one like it. It’s not like I rode it that much, not my everyday bike. Still, it was nice to have. Now someone else has it.

I guess I don’t believe I will ever get it back. Still, hoping for some MplsBikeLove love on this one. I would be more than thankful if I can get my bike back.

Thanks for your time,

Kurt

(320) 223-4000

Specialized Tarmac Comp
    Black, 58 cm, carbon fiber
    Bontrager stem
    tires-Michelin Pro4
    purple TCBC map clip on stem
    chainstay wraped with coiled protector

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    idris_arslanian
    Participant
    Kurt-Franke
    Participant

Thanks for spotting this one and passing it along. I saw it pop up this week too and was able to have a look at that bike. While it was very, very close, it wasn’t my bike. Still, maybe a great replacement.

Thanks for the Love!

KF

Kurt-Franke
    Participant

RETURNED

Found my bike on a Craigslist add the other night. I freaked out… then went to work. Spent alot of time on the phone with various police departments and a few trusted freinds.

In the end, the Bloomington PD believed me, helped me make contact and I was able to bring my bike home. I still can’t believe it.

Thanks to MplsBikeLove and @stolenbikeMPLS for your help as well.

Kurt

Volsung
    Participant

Fucking rad.

FreeRangeZombie
    Participant

@Volsung wrote:

Fucking rad.

+1

Did they get the guy? Got any info on him?

Twins-Guy
    Participant

@Volsung wrote:

Fucking rad.

x2

Kurt-Franke
    Participant

Saw my bike on Wednesday night. Made some calls to varioius Police Departments and then to the Seller. The seller was in Blooomington so I spent most of the time speaking with a really helpful Dispatcher from BPD.

I set up a meeting for Thursday at the Sellers home. Wasn’t at all sure he was the thief. He sounded like a nice older guy. Beside, who sells stolen shit out of their home?

Spent the evening, and early morning putting together a packet of Police Reports, photos, forum postings and proof. Needing to convince the Police that this was my bike. I did have a partial Serial Number. Wasn’t all sure they were going to accept that.

That morning we arrived at the PD. Took abit of talking to get by the first uniformed officer they assigned this case. Within an hour a couple young investigator types came walking in. They seemed interested, but not covinced. Not convinced – this was MY BIKE!

Cutting to the chase. The PD had me call the seller to set up the time. They drove by to check out his place and position their response. I rode over with a plain clothed cop and my wife. The nice old guy came out of his house. Saw my bike on a stand in his garage. He started telling me what he knew about this Tarmac. I was all ears. Not quite the same as when I last saw it, new seat, change of computer, no pedals. Still, I think this is my bike…

Asked him if I could check the crank and chain stay for cracks. Turned the bike over and there it was, my partial Serial Number. WooHoo! With that the PD called in the back-up and patted the poor guy down.

Turns out, the guy bought my bike at Pawn America earlier that week, Thought there was some money to be made and listed it on CL. Not a crook, he was a vicitm, too.

In the end, I got my bike back, Dude got his money back from Pawn America and the PD is now on to some poor bastard that pawned it, with a photo ID apparently.

Thanks for reading this too long posting, and thanks for the Love.

Twins-Guy
    Participant

its nice to get the follow up kurt! congrats on getting your wheels back!

Svenn
    Participant

Thanks you for taking the time to post your experience. So happy you got your bike back!

Ted-D
    Participant

@Svenn wrote:

Thanks you for taking the time to post your experience. So happy you got your bike back!

so the reason Pawn America didn’t get flagged if they ran the serial number was because you didn’t have the whole number reported?

omgmrj
    Participant

@Ted-D wrote:

so the reason Pawn America didn’t get flagged if they ran the serial number was because you didn’t have the whole number reported?

That sounds right. Can you even report a partial serial number?

kuando
    Participant

It’s uhm, “difficult” to read the serial number sometimes, or sometimes it’s punched in “incorrectly,” numbers “transposed,” etc.

FreeRangeZombie
    Participant

@kuando wrote:

It’s uhm, “difficult” to read the serial number sometimes, or sometimes it’s punched in “incorrectly,” numbers “transposed,” etc.

This.

:(

Glad you got your bike back dude.

Going2tri
    Participant

Good to hear that the bike is back with its rightful owner.

Kurt-Franke
    Participant

You guys are right, the complete serial number should have flagged this bike at the pawn shop. Having the partial number did help me confirm ownership with the PD, along with some photos and info about the bike that only I could have known.

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.