Not really a helmet thread — accommodating chignons?

This topic contains 12 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Avatar of Lindenblossom Lindenblossom 1 year, 1 month ago.

• Creator
    Topic
    giddything
    Participant

I’m really tired of low braids and ponytails. My preferred hairstyle is a chignon (just like a bun! but it sounds cooler!), and my hair is long enough that it can’t fit under the helmet. I usually prefer to hold it with hairsticks, too, the better to receive signals from the mothership. Can anyone recommend helmet brands that would accommodate this? In the ones I’ve tried, the adjustment band in the back gets in the way.

I’m fine with the knot being pretty low in back; I only need a little more room for my Bell helmet to work.

Thanks!

Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    lowrah
    Participant

I don’t have a specific recommendation for you, but I think I might have some bad news… helmets are designed to protect your forehead and the back of your head, so you probably won’t be able to get too lofty of a bun. = However, I don’t rock a Bern because it has too much coverage/ not enough venting, so you might have more luck with *any* road- or mtb-style helmet compared to a Bern.

And this doesn’t answer your question, but this is something that I do: I keep a hair band on me, and shove my (medium long) hair up under my cap, and I’ll do my ‘do up real quick when I land.

(Good on you for wearing a helmet!)

giddything
    Participant

Well, it’s not the helmet itself that’s the problem — it’s the adjustment band thing. Which I’m pretty sure is not protecting the back of my head from anything except my preferred hairstyle.

Bern != Bell. :) Those just look awful for heat. Though maybe nice for winter? The Bell isn’t horrible for ventilation, at least.

By “long,” I mean waist-length. It doesn’t really go under things. While I mentioned ponytails, I almost never wear them because of tangles. My options are braids, braids, and braids, which gets old.

lowrah
    Participant

I have no idea why I misread your OP! My reading comprehension is horrible sometimes.

That’s alotta mane you’re working with.

I’m not sure of a specific brand, but what other helmet retention systems have you tried? (Lazer has a good system, but I think you might still run into the same problem…) I’ll ask around and see if my pals know of something.

giddything
    Participant

Speaking of this, winter hats can be problematic if you have that much hair. If you knit or know someone who does, these headbands are super-easy, don’t use much yarn, and work well through most of the winter (depending on the winter, of course). And I’ve discovered they also fit under my helmet. The only problem is that sometimes the button tries to eat the hair at the back of my neck, but that’s not a big deal.

Also: Got the Lazer (my spare helmet is too old, and I wanted a light-colored one). It works! Just enough clearance in the back that the bun doesn’t get messed up.

lowrah
    Participant

@giddything wrote:

Speaking of this, winter hats can be problematic if you have that much hair. If you knit or know someone who does, these headbands are super-easy, don’t use much yarn, and work well through most of the winter (depending on the winter, of course). And I’ve discovered they also fit under my helmet. The only problem is that sometimes the button tries to eat the hair at the back of my neck, but that’s not a big deal.

Also: Got the Lazer (my spare helmet is too old, and I wanted a light-colored one). It works! Just enough clearance in the back that the bun doesn’t get messed up.

Yeah! Glad you got a helmet that works for your ‘do!

I love headbands. I don’t knit, but I have a few fleece ones that I’ve made with a couple of quick stitches.

giddything
    Participant

@lowrah wrote:

Yeah! Glad you got a helmet that works for your ‘do!

Me too, thanks. I hope the bun still looks femme enough. I’m convinced that looking conspicuously girly is the reason I don’t get buzzed or “get-off-the-road” type harassment. (I still get the female-in-public sort, of course, but I’m used to that and it’s less likely to kill me….)

I love headbands. I don’t knit, but I have a few fleece ones that I’ve made with a couple of quick stitches.

Yes, but those are harder for the cats to destroy. Cat entertainment is an important secondary purpose.

lowrah
    Participant

@giddything wrote:

Yes, but those are harder for the cats to destroy. Cat entertainment is an important secondary purpose.

Haha. My cats love to sleep on expensive wool baselayers. Tiny holes emerge from contented kneading. Little jerks.

Lindenblossom
    Participant

Hey there!

I know this is an old thread (haven’t been on MBL for awhile) but – are there any local shops that sell these Lazer helmets? I have the same “bun/long hair” issue.

Thanks! :)

giddything
    Participant

Yeah, I got mine from the Minnehaha Hub. I actually got a men’s helmet — they were out of the women’s, and I guess I have a big head, because I could cinch it down enough to fit. I was glad I had when winter started, because it accommodated my gear easily and I’m not sure the women’s helmet would have.

Lindenblossom
    Participant

Aha! Thanks for the info, and for the sizing anecdote – I will keep that in mind! :)

omgmrj
    Participant

QBP distributes Lazer, so any shop should be able to get a Lazer helmet for you. Freewheel has quite a few models in stock. Keep in mind that, as with almost all helmet manufacturers, there’s different models that will be sized differently. For example the Lazer O2 only comes in one size, while the Helium comes in three.

Lindenblossom
    Participant

Duly noted. Good to know about QBP – that’ll make it a snap.

Thank you so much!

Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.