New trail connecting Roseville and U of M St. Paul campus

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Avatar of biker7 biker7 1 year, 8 months ago.

• Creator
    Topic
    reptile
    Participant

I haven’t heard anything about this until today. I have to go out to Rosedale after work today so I think I might check it out even though I have low-hopes for anything Roseville does (ie County Rd. B2)

New bike and pedestrian trail connecting Roseville with the U of M opens today
    Posted by: Tim Harlow Updated: November 1, 2012 – 12:51 PM

A year’s worth of work to improve biking and walking opportunities in Roseville, Lauderdale and Falcon Heights comes to fruition today with the grand opening of the Northeast Suburban Campus Connector trail.

The trail connects Rosedale mall with the University of Minnesota’s St. Paul campus where a celebration to mark the opening will take place with a ceremony at noon at the Department of Horticultural Science Display and Trial Garden at Gortner and Folwell avenues. A group bike ride will follow from 1 to 2:30 p.m.

Paid for by $1.3 million in funding from Bike Walk Twin Cities, a program of Transit for Livable Communities, and $330,000 in local funding, the new trail runs along Larpenteur, Fairview and Gortner avenues. It will allow riders (and walkers) to access the U’s St. Paul campus and transit way, which leads to downtown St. Paul and Minneapolis, along with shopping destinations, area attractions, parks and libraries.

Among the route’s amenities are:

New on-street bike lanes and sidewalk connectors have been added to portions of Gortner, Fairview and Larpenteur avenues.

Wider sidewalks (8 feet wide) have been built on both sides of Fairview Avenue between County Road B and County Road B2. A shared path for bikers and walkers was added on Fairview Avenue where it passes under Hwy. 36 near Rosedale.

New traffic signals with countdown timers have been installed along the route to provide for improved movement for bicyclists and pedestrians. Trees, benches and other aesthetics have been installed. Nice Ride, the popular bike-sharing program, added a station at Dan Patch and Gortner avenues on the U’s St. Paul campus.

“Improvements such as these are vital for extending the Twin Cities’ bicycle and pedestrian network beyond the core cities,” said Joan Pasiuk, director of Bike Walk Twin Cities. “Kudos to the city and public works staffs of Roseville, Falcon Heights and Lauderdale for making these upgrades a reality, and for providing their residents and visitors with safer and more attractive bicycle and pedestrian routes.”

The new trail intersects with existing trails and bike lanes on County Road B and B2 in Roseville, bike lanes on Roselawn Avenue and the bike-friendly Cleveland Avenue. It also passes by the Gibbs Museum and Evergreen Park,and affords easy access to the Fairview Community Center, Har Mar Mall, the Roseville Library and Corpus Christi Catholic Church.

At its northern end at Rosedale, riders and walkers can pick up Metro Transit buses.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    RiverRat
    Participant

I guess bikes are not allowed to travel north of Rosedale.

biker7
    Participant

:)

Although there are no bike paths along the Fairview corridor north of Rosedale, there’s a nice new sidewalk on the east side from B2 to C. This turns into a tar path just north of C extending to C2.

This project actually is turning out better than I expected.
    I rode the corridor last weekend before the curb cuts were finished.
    It sure beats what we had before.

The stretch of the corridor from B to Larpenteur was done a few months ago,
    and the stretch from B to B2 is just being finished.

Special thanks to the Deb the City of Roseville engineer who has been spearheading the project.

pannierpacker
    Participant

The group ride yesterday was a lot of fun. I was pleased especially to learn that it’s now possible to travel from Roseville to Minneapolis along Larpenter/Hennepin and have a sidewalk the entire way (I have walked it before), thanks to the missing segment that was put in.

Kudos to those who got the new sidewalk put in underneath 36. A number of people live in high density housing just on the side of the highway, within walking distance to Rosedale. Now they can get there while crossing significantly less busy streets and stoplights.

What is really fun is getting a larger group of people to ride northbound on Fairview. With the trail and the bikelane, you can now easily ride 3-4 abreast without even being in the auto lane.

I hope it continues to get used. In the mean time I’ll keep using Snelling (via bus) and Hamline, since those are closer to where I am and where I’m going typically.

biker7
    Participant

I rode the new path from Rosedale south to B and then rode the new bike lane down to Larpenteur.

Since I’d already ridden the path on the west side last week, I took the path on the east side today.
    (It worked out okay, but was probably not the best choice for a southbound biker.)

The resurfacing of Gortner and the new bike lanes on it are a nice improvement.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.