my freewheel in double digit sub zero temps

This topic contains 5 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Avatar of Reverborama Reverborama 1 year, 2 months ago.

• Creator
    Topic
    vonschlosser
    Participant

on my morning commute today in -13 temps, every time I began coasting, my freewheel kept getting stuck disengaged.
    leaving me frantically pedaling circles in traffic. making a already white-knuckle ride that much more vexing.
    I’m not new to winter riding but this was a 1st for me. I’m pretty sure the answer to my problem might be a new freewheel. but has has anyone else experienced this?

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    omgmrj
    Participant

I pee on it. I pee on it while standing in the middle on Hennepin Ave. I love my double kickstand.

lsboogy
    Participant

You need some thinner grease for winter use – freehub soup is great most of the time, but in the winter I run Nye (or Krytox)stuff on my freewheels – if you want a bit I will give you some – I get it for free (samples), it is really expensive ($100/oz)

Beau
    Participant

Most shops can clean them out.

Once clean, we drip Phil Wood Tenacious, followed by a bit of Tri Flow to thin it out, then another round of each. Then blow it all out.

Freewheels required more care in the Winter. Now you know why people ride fixed in the Winter.

I won’t say this often, but a can of WD-40 will help you in the situation. Buy a little one just in case.

lsboogy
    Participant

@Beau wrote:

Most shops can clean them out.

Once clean, we drip Phil Wood Tenacious, followed by a bit of Tri Flow to thin it out, then another round of each. Then blow it all out.

Freewheels required more care in the Winter. Now you know why people ride fixed in the Winter.

I won’t say this often, but a can of WD-40 will help you in the situation. Buy a little one just in case.

NOOOOOOO – WD-40 stands for WATER DISPLACEMENT formula 40 – not meant as a lubricant – get a grease rated to -40, last ditch effort in a pinch only

Reverborama

Yeeeesssss! You are trying to displace the water from inside the freewheel! Since the bearings are only used when the freewheel is under no load, they hardly need any lubrication at all.

@Sheldon Brown wrote:

The freewheel is the least important bearing on a bicycle, since it only turns when it is not carrying any load.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.