MPR: Bikes, cars have equal blame

This topic contains 7 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Avatar of giddything giddything 1 year, 9 months ago.

• Creator
    Topic
    anomrabbit
    Participant

http://minnesota.publicradio.org/displa … ar-crashes

Equal blame in Minneapolis bike-car crashes
    by Curtis Gilbert, Minnesota Public Radio
    January 15, 2013

MINNEAPOLIS — Drivers and cyclists are both to blame in many bike/vehicle crashes, according to new numbers released by the City of Minneapolis.

The city averages about 270 bike-vehicle crashes every year. That number has stayed relatively constant over the last decade, even as the number of bicycle commuters in the city increased by about 75 percent.

The city found crashes usually happen when when one or both parties fail to yield the right of way, or otherwise ignore the rules of the road. Cyclists were to blame in about 60 percent of crashes, as were drivers, meaning oftentimes, both parties were at fault. The vast majority of crashes occurred within 50 feet of an intersection.

Minneapolis analyzed almost 3,000 crashes that took place over a 10-year period. A dozen of them were fatal.

City staff recommend improving the design of intersections and bike lanes, as well as increased education efforts for drivers and cyclists.

As a thought, wouldn’t it make sense to include something about sharing the road with bicycles during driver’s ed, and to have a few bike-related questions on the exam? Y’know, right from the start get the idea in people’s heads that bicycles are part of normal road traffic?

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    FreeRangeZombie
    Participant

My immediate question when I heard this story the other day was their stats seem to cover the decade as a whole, but i’d be interested to see it broken down by year to see if the stats of responsibility changes over the years

kuando
    Participant

In auto crashes half the time the other party is responsible.

phaedrus
    Participant

Wow, interesting spin here:

Cyclists were to blame in about 60 percent of crashes, as were drivers, meaning oftentimes, both parties were at fault.

This is technically true, but consider how different it sounds in the Star Tribune.

@Star Tribune wrote:

Biker actions contributed to the crash in 59 percent of collisions, compared to almost 64 percent for drivers, according to the study presented Tuesday to the City Council. Sometimes both were judged at fault by investigating officers.

Same data, different sense of the situation.

Speaking of data, I’d be interested to learn the statistics relating who’s at fault to the severity of the injuries caused.

In other words, is there any relationship between who made the mistake and how badly the bicyclist gets hurt or the nature of the cyclist’s injuries?

kuando
    Participant

This is the good one. While all these people are busy pointing fingers at cyclists they seem to have missed this juicy stat:

One of five crashes were classified as hit-and-run, with the driver the fleeing party 93 percent of the time.

phaedrus
    Participant

@ebbmart wrote:

@kuando wrote:
    This is the good one. While all these people are busy pointing fingers at cyclists they seem to have missed this juicy stat:

One of five crashes were classified as hit-and-run, with the driver the fleeing party 93 percent of the time.

Gross. That should have been the take-away from the whole article, but it is little more than a footnote. 93% hit and run? shameful.

Actually, 18.6% reported hit and runs by auto drivers and 1.4% reported hit and runs cyclists.

Still shameful, but not as bad as 93% hit and run.

(1 in 5 crashes is 20%, 18.6% is 93% of 20%)

kuando
    Participant

The Greenway is good for going where the Greenway takes you.

giddything
    Participant

@ebbmart wrote:

@forthetime_being wrote:
    It surprised me to see so many bike-auto accidents on Lake St. Why aren’t more people riding the Greenway? I think maybe just crossing Lake is the problem. Or, it could be riders unfamiliar with the Greenway.

Id say icey conditions, and the fear of attack; at least after dark. I know lots of people who refuse to use it after dark.

I was nervous about that, too. It’s not so much that there are a lot of attacks, as that they’re more publicized than “normal” stuff on the streets. (There’s a special Greenway Attacks thread here, but not a similar one for the roads, for example.)

Then I rode with friends or in Trailwatch a few times and heard the statistics and now I’m fine with it. Still, it took a few rides in company before I was comfortable.

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.