Minnehaha Falls to Best Buy HQ in Richfield

This topic contains 32 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Avatar of SDHO SDHO 1 year, 5 months ago.

• Creator
    Topic
    giddything
    Participant

I’m looking for the best route; I tried it myself, but I’m not used to suburban roads. If the correct answer is Cyclopath.Org, I’ll do that, but I figured I should check to see if people who were more familiar with Bloomington & Richfield had suggestions.

Also, if anyone commutes that way, I’ll be starting real soon now.

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    DangHeim
    Participant

That’s an easy one. I’m through that area most mornings at ~7:15 – 7:30 on my way to Bloomington. I could show you the finer points some morning if the timing worked.

giddything
    Participant

@DangHeim wrote:

That’s an easy one. I’m through that area most mornings at ~7:15 – 7:30 on my way to Bloomington. I could show you the finer points some morning if the timing worked.

Sweet, thank you! I will take you up on that once I figure out my mornings.

SDHO
    Participant

IMO, Chicago to Portland is the best route into Richfield. I really dislike the junction at Cedar and Nokomis Pkwy, and Old Cedar and Bloomington Ave are not great either: poor pavement, no lighting.

I prefer Minnehaha Parkway to Chicago Ave. Chicago Ave to 60th to Portland. Portland down to 76th and 76th over to Best Buy. Portland has more traffic, but it’s actually fairly comfortable to ride in the 4-lane portion in Richfield, as long as you clearly take up the entire right-hand lane. Cars pass in the other lane really courteously; I always have a lot of space. South of the roundabout, you’ll have a wide/no-parking shoulder and fairly fresh pavement.

But sample ‘em all. I imagine you’ll have lots of time to experiment.

giddything
    Participant

Thank you! I will definitely try that; Minnehaha to Chicago is one of my favorite rides.

DangHeim
    Participant

Curious, what’s wrong with the Nokomis Pkwy/Cedar intersection? It’s very gentle if you take the street. The short stretch on Old Cedar is a little bumpy, but the rest of the way on Bloomington Ave is well lit, fast, and smooooooth. Your route may have benefits as she is heading further west than I do, but I prefer to stay off bike paths.

Indeed, though, sample ‘em all.

giddything
    Participant

If you take the trail, it’s a pretty pedestrian-y intersection. Taking the street was the first thing I noticed about your route.

I’ve only gone through there twice; I’ve biked around Nokomis a lot, so naturally I took the trail. That intersection, from the trail, was part of what prompted the post here, in fact. I can tell the street will be much better — but it didn’t actually occur to me to take the street when there is LAKEFRONT available.

DangHeim
    Participant

Ha! I promise you’ll have plenty of lake views from the street forty feet away.

One thing to mention, though, is coming back on that route is in my opinion the biggest infrastructure mistake in the cities for any mode of transportation. Old Cedar is one way from Nokomis to the 5-8 Club, and to go north you need to ride against the one way and up on the sidewalk to the light. Stupid, stupid design. I prefer to salmon to the ped bridge and hike across 77 and navigate the city streets on the other side. I’ve never had any traffic problems, but I hate salmoning.

Again, though, sample ‘em all. Find all the available routes and take whatever route suits your mood that day. Also it’s good to know your way around if you have to run from the cops.

PM me when you want a tour on the route I posted. You’ll like it.

giddything
    Participant

What can I say, I like the mixed-use paths. I know a lot of people here hate them, but I’m not so fast that it’s a problem and I like seeing the kids and everyone. Not that I expect to see a lot of people that early in the morning.

Anyway. Will PM once I’ve stopped being terrified that they’ll decide I’m not nearly as smart as they’re paying me to be. (Just the usual new-contract jitters…)

DangHeim
    Participant

Don’t get me wrong, I like the bike paths too. Hell, I grew up on ‘em. But when I commute or ride fast they’re not well suited to my needs and I take to the street. The street is more direct and there aren’t as many retractable leashes spanning the full width.

SDHO
    Participant

Well if you like the mixed-use paths, you may prefer the Old Cedar/Bloomington Ave Route, since you’ll have the opportunity to use them along the lakes, and both streets after that are very low-traffic. 76th Street has both lanes and a “path” (really more an asphalt sidewalk), so it’s a great new bike route across Richfield. I still prefer the other way on Portland, but DangHeim is right that Bloomington Ave south of 62nd Street is a nice north-south route. Little traffic, smooth, and an accommodating light at 66th Street.

I agree about the frustration of the one-way at the junction of Old Cedar and Cedar Ave freeway tho — I assume it’s just because that intersection would be even more a mess if they permitted northbound traffic. That is not a business district, so you may lawfully ride on the sidewalk there. (Dangerous, but probably not any moreso than going upstream — and it’s legal.) The “ideal” (legal and safe) northbound route would be to turn left at 60th Street after you cross the Bloomington Ave bridge, and then go up 12th Ave.

In any case, if this is a long-term thing for you at Best Buy, this may be fixed. There is a planned trail that will connect from the Nokomis trails to the Bloomington Ave bridge, and then to Richfield Parkway, going down Old Cedar on the east edge of Richfield. Won’t be done till 2017 tho. See http://www.startribune.com/local/west/157668855.html.

The Portland route should be enhanced before then. Hennepin Cty is completing bike lanes to 60th Street this year, and may continue them into Richfield as early as next year. You picked a good time to start bike-commuting south :grin:

giddything
    Participant

@SDHO wrote:

Well if you like the mixed-use paths, you may prefer the Old Cedar/Bloomington Ave Route, since you’ll have the opportunity to use them along the lakes, and both streets after that are very low-traffic. 76th Street has both lanes and a “path” (really more an asphalt sidewalk), so it’s a great new bike route across Richfield. I still prefer the other way on Portland, but DangHeim is right that Bloomington Ave south of 62nd Street is a nice north-south route. Little traffic, smooth, and an accommodating light at 66th Street.

Minnehaha Creek paths are also fun, though, so either works! Thanks for the information about 76th St. I don’t use the sidewalky paths much, though I will on some roads. I didn’t feel comfortable on Pilot Knob, for example, but if there’s a bike lane? No question.

I agree about the frustration of the one-way at the junction of Old Cedar and Cedar Ave freeway tho — I assume it’s just because that intersection would be even more a mess if they permitted northbound traffic. That is not a business district, so you may lawfully ride on the sidewalk there. (Dangerous, but probably not any moreso than going upstream — and it’s legal.) The “ideal” (legal and safe) northbound route would be to turn left at 60th Street after you cross the Bloomington Ave bridge, and then go up 12th Ave.

In any case, if this is a long-term thing for you at Best Buy, this may be fixed. There is a planned trail that will connect from the Nokomis trails to the Bloomington Ave bridge, and then to Richfield Parkway, going down Old Cedar on the east edge of Richfield. Won’t be done till 2017 tho. See http://www.startribune.com/local/west/157668855.html.

The Portland route should be enhanced before then. Hennepin Cty is completing bike lanes to 60th Street this year, and may continue them into Richfield as early as next year. You picked a good time to start bike-commuting south :grin:

Thanks so much! The gig is for a year, though it could last longer. I’d be pretty surprised if I were still there in 2017, but who knows.

Of course the commute will start next week, just as the temperature drops. Ah, well, I didn’t bike last “winter,” but this year I have plans. One nice thing about never having owned a car: my comparison for bike commuting isn’t a drive, but walk+bus+standing in the cold for a transfer+bus…. My only worry is that all my bikes are steel. And I need more wool socks.

DangHeim
    Participant

They just finished completely relaying the entire length of 76th street (or significant portion that extends beyond the edge of my biking world) and it’s really nice.

@giddything wrote:

My only worry is that all my bikes are steel. And I need more wool socks.

A steel bike is no problem. My bikes are all steel too.

Wool socks are a must. Buy now and buy often. You can never have too much wool anything.

giddything
    Participant

@DangHeim wrote:

@giddything wrote:
    My only worry is that all my bikes are steel. And I need more wool socks.

A steel bike is no problem. My bikes are all steel too.

Wool socks are a must. Buy now and buy often. You can never have too much wool anything.

I have lots of wool, just not socks. But the sock fairy will visit soon, I am sure.

I don’t really have the skillz for Framesavering (I understand the bike needs to be completely disassembled?). When my friend finishes my bike stand — I can’t believe he let moving get in the way of this very important project — I may try to trade beer for assistance in the matter.

DangHeim
    Participant

PM lowrah and ask about Grease Rag. I’m sure they’ll have a winterization night very, very soon.

DangHeim
    Participant

So what route did you end up taking?

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.