Minneapolis Bike Commuting Down?!?!

This topic contains 26 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Avatar of omgmrj omgmrj 1 year, 6 months ago.

• Creator
    Topic
    ChrisAdyNelson
    Participant

Full article: bike commuting continues to rise in the US
    http://bit.ly/RbuQkd

Biking in Minneapolis is up by the bike counts (at least that’s what I recall). Crazy to see Minneapolis dropping since 2008, it makes me think they are using flawed data or criteria.

edit – used a bitly url, the full url didn’t work

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    giddything
    Participant

I DEMAND A RECOUNT.

ChrisAdyNelson
    Participant

the survey wording only asks about one’s primary mode of transportation to work, the ACS doesn’t count people who combine biking with another, longer mode. It also doesn’t include people who bike commute once or twice a week, or less often

Edit: Source – http://bit.ly/Rbw7b2

Anonymous
    Participant
    jitterjepp
    Participant

I’m not buying this. I’ve lived in the same neighborhood for about 12 years and in this area of the city for 25.

I used to bike to work and see one or two other bikers on the road. They were usually the same few people that biked to work or whatever. I recognized them because they were the only ones riding around.

Then 2003 happened and a ton of new people started riding. I got to recognize many of them over a couple years. I could even recognize their bikes. I remember riding down Lyndale or Hennepin and thinking “such and such is bellying up the CC bar again….” or “whats her name is at the Wedge…”

Now there are so many people on bikes, even in just the last year, that I’ll be able to remember all of them just about as soon as I remember all the drivers and their cars.

Even with mountain biking the numbers have gone up. Probably ten fold in the last decade. I used know all of the people on the MTB trails in MPLS or at least recognize them and most of the riders on other trails from races or local events. Now I don’t know 95% of them. I used to know all the local metro area trail builders too. Now I don’t know most of them unless they are at Wirth.

In the summer Wirth will get 300+ riders /laps a day. (a counter is hidden in the trail) I don’t know 300 mountain bikers and this is only one trail and one day. It doesn’t include all the other trails we have and not every rider rides every day. For Wirth most of them ride to the trail. They are on the road on bikes as well.

There is an obvious flaw in one study or the other because clearly the number have not gone down. I’m surprised they don’t show them going up. They are going up. I can tell.

JenNastix
    Participant

Honest question, bear with me….

You guys ever wonder if we’re over-thinking this bike riding thing sometimes?

omgmrj
    Participant

@JenNastix wrote:

You guys ever wonder if we’re over-thinking this bike riding thing sometimes?

Yup.

“Ohhh, do I want E-Vent or Gore Tex?”

Shut up and ride your bike.

JenNastix
    Participant

Oh, pumpkin, you can have it.

omgmrj
    Participant

Oh my, I don’t know, maybe 35c is too wide.

JenNastix
    Participant

hahaha, I keep reading the thread title as Minneapolis Bike Commuters DTF!?!?!

omgmrj
    Participant

Gahh, should I get the Eggbeaters or Candies for my 4-mile daily commute?

jitterjepp
    Participant

Sometimes I look at one of my bikes and think “What does this bike say about me? Does it say I’m going places and keep me well situated in the social order of things?” I guess time will tell.

omgmrj
    Participant

So I’ve got 105 on my Cross Check, is it worth the $$$ to upgrade it to Ultegra?

omgmrj
    Participant

WTB 54-56cm road bike. Looking for something light and fast for doing my daily commute on. Needs to be able to fit 700x38s with fenders. Trying to keep it under 20lbs. Looking to spend about $200-300. Let me know what you have kicking around!

ChrisAdyNelson
    Participant

I get the feeling I’m being picked on…. mrj is a just a big bully!

JenNastix
    Participant

HEY! Language.

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.