In Numerical Order

This topic contains 579 replies, has 58 voices, and was last updated by Avatar of neutronforce neutronforce 11 months, 3 weeks ago.

• Creator
    Topic
    bjorn
    Keymaster

Alright! A new photo game with some new rules. As the name implies, the photos are In Numerical Order. This is inspired by the flickr group of the same name. Essentially, each post is the next number in the order. I’m starting with 1, the next post should be a photo of your bike with the number 2, and the number 2 alone.

Rules:
    1. This is not a tag game. You do not need to locate or photograph the previous number to post the next.
    2. There are no boundaries. This is to encourage traveling and suburban mplsbikelove.com members to participate in the game.
    3. The number must be “in the wild”; you cannot place the number yourself nor alter existing surroundings to create the number.
    4. The number must be intentional and permanent (within reason), which is to say the number must be intended to be the number, and it cannot be written in the dirt or the sand. For example, if the letter “L” is painted such that it appears to be the number “1″, but is intended to be the letter “L” it would not qualify as the number “1″. If some a-hole writes the number 112 in the sand, such that another person could not go there and see the number in the sand, it would not qualify. I understand that by their nature, signs are changed and removed, and that numbers like graffiti are covered, but i think the spirit of the game is clear. The number can be mobile, as on a train car, truck trailer, or license plate.
    5. The number cannot be a part of a numerical series, for example: the house number 1542 could not be used for the number 54.
    6. The number can be in context with text, such as “Door 21″, but the number must be a designator, so cannot be used inline with text, like “21% of doctors agree”. This is to prevent usage of billboards, advertisements, and the like. Let’s keep it fun and original!
    7. Your bike and the number must appear in the photograph.
    8. Please host your photo permanently, so that there aren’t breaks in the numerical continuity.
    9. Please post the location of your number, preferably with a link to the exact location on a public mapping web site.
    10. The number must be an integer comprised of arabic numerals in base 10, represented by the Latin characters 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9. No spelled-out numbers, Roman numerals, decimal places, or numerals from another system.
    11. No ordinal numbers: 1st, 2nd, 3rd, etc. This is after considering that this usage of numbers is really just an abbreviation for their full-word counterparts.

So here we go, with number 1, Webster Open School Door Number 1, 5th St NE, Minneapolis, MN.

ed. to add rules 10 & 11

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 579 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Reverborama

Damn you reflective signs and tape!
    2nd Street NE & Herman Terrace in Hopkins
    http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=2598592” onclick=”window.open(this.href);return false;

2fast4love
    Participant

i love new games….thanx bjorn

dasunt
    Participant

Thanks for a game that us in the far outer suburbs can play. :grin:

Radlerin

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=2598800

Hear, hear! on the new game idea.

Does it count if the number is spelled out, e.g. “eighteen”?

sveden
    Participant

@HerculesTRockefeller wrote:

SIGH!

sveden
    Participant

@sveden wrote:

@HerculesTRockefeller wrote:

SIGH!

[strike]Since there has been no response lets assume my snap judgement is true. XD[/strike]

Radlerin

I just got an official ruling from bjorn: it has to be the actual number.
    And no Roman numerals.

sveden
    Participant

@Radlerin wrote:

I just got an official ruling from bjorn: it has to be the actual number.
    And no Roman numerals.

Fine. I guess Bjorn misread my snark this morning when I pointed out my reply to this thread.

bjorn
    Keymaster

Usually sveden and I agree when being snarky :)

I’ll add these to the rules in the 1st post. I don’t want this to be overly rule-y, but things keep coming up…I’m sure you all understand that this should be simple. Picture of your bike with a number.

The number must be comprised of arabic numerals in base 10, represented by the Latin characters 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9. No spelled-out numbers, Roman numerals, or numerals from another system.

The number must be an integer. No decimal places!

Street signs and house numbers are acceptable, but are boring. reverborama was on the right track with 2, but Radlerin nailed it with 3. That’s the spirit of the game!

I’m not going to make him go out and get a new number 2, but I am adding this rule: no ordinal numbers. 1st, 2nd, 3rd, etc. This is after considering that this usage of numbers is really just an abbreviation for their full-word counterparts.

Reverborama

@bjorn wrote:

Street signs and house numbers are acceptable, but are boring. reverborama was on the right track with 2, but Radlerin nailed it with 3. That’s the spirit of the game!

I was thinking the same thing but after almost a day passed with no one jumping on it I decided to go out and get a picture to get things rolling.

I would be fine with making house numbers and street signs off limits (and I would dutifully replace my picture with a conforming one).

bjorn
    Keymaster

I think street signs and house numbers are fair game, but subject to ridicule :) With the new rules, most street signs won’t qualify, except for maybe mile markers and a few other random ones. Houses are ok since to photograph them, you might have to trespass or at least make people suspicious. Moving along…who’s got 4?

bjorn
    Keymaster

I guess I have 4.

Near 800 18th Ave NE.

Jerbear
    Participant

@bjorn wrote:

…or numerals from another system.

So Hoth is out then.

roaster-boy
    Participant

@Jerbear wrote:

@bjorn wrote:
    …or numerals from another system.

So Hoth is out then.

We better hope it doesn’t snow anymore. :D

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 579 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.