I’m going to post it here, because fuck you, that’s why.

This topic contains 24 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by Avatar of Xipe-Totec Xipe-Totec 1 year, 9 months ago.

• Creator
    Topic
    JenNastix
    Participant

HHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! DID y’all see the spin-off thread!?! Look, I don’t care, and it’s truly hilarious to me, but the way they set it up, it looks like I was the one who instigated the whole thing.

I would just like to set the record in this forum that I was only, and politely doing so, calling out a comment someone else made. That, us speaking up about this shit is not a PROBLEM that needs to be eschewed by sweeping it into a corner. I love all you ladies, and thank you for the kind PMs you sent me with regard for that matter. I was alone out there in that forum for a bit, swatting at insults, but I appreciate those who emerged a few days later to say their piece.

My kindred spirits, I may come off as flip and irreverent at times, but rest assured, I am on your side.

Love all y’all.

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    omgmrj
    Participant

JenNastix
    Participant

hahahah <3

omgmrj
    Participant

JenNastix
    Participant

JenNastix
    Participant

oolong
    Participant

@JenNastix wrote:

That, us speaking up about this shit is not a PROBLEM that needs to be eschewed by sweeping it into a corner.

Yup.

Nobody puts JenNastix in a corner!

giddything
    Participant

tanknees
    Participant

The way that this played out makes it pretty clear to me that the main difference between being a Woman Who Bikes and being a Man Who Bikes is that women have to deal with substantially more ass-headedness than men do if they want to be active members of the community.

Major props to all of you who stick it out and call people on their shit.

phaedrus
    Participant

@tanknees wrote:

The way that this played out makes it pretty clear to me that the main difference between being a Woman and being a Man is that women have to deal with substantially more ass-headedness than men do if they want to be active members of the community.

FTFY.

giddything
    Participant

@phaedrus wrote:

@tanknees wrote:
    The way that this played out makes it pretty clear to me that the main difference between being a Woman and being a Man is that women have to deal with substantially more ass-headedness than men do if they want to be active members of the community.

FTFY.

LOL beat me to it!

lowrah
    Participant

Props to everyone that spoke up. Frequent users of this board (I’m including myself even though I’m not here the much anymore), we have to speak up for the people that come here once, see insulting language and leave, or the people that lurk and don’t feel like they belong in the conversation. Because I want everyone to be able to talk about bikes here.

I’m also displeased with being swept into a corner. If being off-topic is a moderator priority, shouldn’t the most of the hipster rolling dance party thread be moved and locked? I realize that thread is not as contentious as the conversation in TOTH/WOTF became, but it does lend to the feeling that there are exceptions to rules and favoritism. Or maybe no one has flagged that thread?

Moderators have a hard job. You’re never going to make everyone happy. While trying to be empathetic to that position, I would like to say that ALL WE WANT TO DO IS TALK ABOUT BIKES. I certainly don’t want to have conversations about why it hurts to hear people use gendered insults, I don’t want to have confrontation, I don’t want to feel like this isn’t a place where I can shoot the shit about bikes with friends. But if you take away my right to say, “This is wrong. This should not be allowed. Please use language that doesn’t insult based on gender, race, age, etc.,” you’re taking away my investment in this place, and making it a place I don’t want to return to.

You didn’t “start” anything, you were respectful, JenNastix. But I’m glad you said something. It’s too often that I read things on this forum that I find offensive, and I don’t say anything because I’ve convinced myself it’s not worth the effort. And that makes me sad. I hope to change that going forward.

With all due respect, Moderators, please do not let this end by moving and locking that thread. Whether it is a moderation policy, user ban (too heavy, imo), open discussion, or some other brilliant strategy, please do something to make us feel like we belong here too.

JenNastix
    Participant

To be fair, the Mod DID contact me via PM and apologize for the unfortunate editing of that thread.

tanknees
    Participant

@giddything wrote:

@phaedrus wrote:
    @tanknees wrote:

FTFY.

LOL beat me to it!

Well played.

pho
    Participant

@giddything wrote:

@phaedrus wrote:
    @tanknees wrote:

FTFY.

LOL beat me to it!

The upside is that they gain a lot more clout in the community (though most fail or fear to recognize it) by simply dealing with the ass-headedness in a thoughtful and intelligent (and sometimes extremely sarcastic) manner.

giddything
    Participant

@pho wrote:

@phaedrus wrote:
    @tanknees wrote:

FTFY.

The upside is that they gain a lot more clout in the community (though most fail or fear to recognize it) by simply dealing with the ass-headedness in a thoughtful and intelligent (and sometimes extremely sarcastic) manner.

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.