Helmet Thread 300

This topic contains 21 replies, has 15 voices, and was last updated by Avatar of Caaveman82 Caaveman82 2 years ago.

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    BoNer
    Participant

Is this real???

ralphy
    Participant

Suddenly, I’m reminded of the electric shifting discussion in another thread.

Somehow, I can’t believe that this statement “The actual collar is the visible part of the invention. It’s covered by a removable shell that you can change to match your outfit, and we’ll be launching new designs all the time.” isn’t the primary reason for this product’s existence.

ladybug
    Participant

So, anyone have an extra $600 laying around?

Stoller
    Participant

That’s either incredibly amazing or incredibly ridiculous. I can’t decide which.

vonschlosser
    Participant

that price is unbelievable, it cost much more than my bike. they are really emphasizing fall fashion with this thing, and I see why. I can’t imagine wanting to wear this collar thing on a super hot summer day. plus you need to plug it and charge it, and once it inflates you need to buy a new one, and the fabric will degrade and wear out. how is this an improvement over a regular helmet? it’s pretty clear to me they put more thought into the design of their website than their product.

BoNer
    Participant

“The trigger mechanism is controlled by sensors which pick up the abnormal movements of a bicyclist in an accident.”

??? Like to see the algorithm that determines what constitutes “abnormal movements”.

kn_mpls
    Participant

It’s only for Europeans who slowly ride Dutch bikes. The only sudden movements would be falling. Wouldn’t work for Americans and their unhealthy obsession with speed. Forget about getting rad with one of these on.

Hit jump > land with balloon hood.

ralphy
    Participant

@kn_mpls wrote:

It’s only for Europeans who slowly ride Dutch bikes. The only sudden movements would be falling. Wouldn’t work for Americans and their unhealthy obsession with speed. Forget about getting rad with one of these on.

The page doesn’t specify how the bag is inflated, but anything that can produce enough gas quickly enough, it’s going to make quite a noise.

That’d make your rad move a lot more exciting.

Volsung
    Participant

@ralphy wrote:

@kn_mpls wrote:

The page doesn’t specify how the bag is inflated, but anything that can produce enough gas quickly enough, it’s going to make quite a noise.

That’d make your rad move a lot more exciting.

Put it on backwards for even more rad

Florent-NZogbia
    Participant
    Vik-Strong
    Participant

haha. those simulations are awesome. if you do crash, and it does deploy… how much is it to get a new inflator/be repacked? i know airbags are quite pricey. ive had many crashes where ive rolled out or run out of it ok where this thing probably would have deployed.

know what id rather wear than that big dumb thing around my neck? a plain olde helmet. although i do think its an interesting piece of technology, and if its not used for the bike industry im sure someone else can benefit.

phaedrus
    Participant

@Florent N’Zogbia wrote:

some crash simulations with it here – http://www.lemonde.fr/technologies/vide … 51865.html

The second simulation made me cringe imagining the broken teeth and facial road rash…

Not that a standard helmet does great at that either.

jim_h
    Participant

It looks ridiculous, and uncomfortable, and it’s unaffordable, so it’ll never happen. Maybe it’s really just a design exercise.

Compared to a styrofoam helmet, it would absorb a lot more force in low-velocity impacts, and therefor prevent concussions – exactly what styrofoam helmets DON’T do. But notice how that big inflated “visor” in front snaps your neck backwards if you land face-down. Ouch.

phaedrus
    Participant

@jim_h wrote:

it’ll never happen.

If I had a dollar for every time I heard that and it didn’t turn out to be true, I could buy a couple cases of good beer.

Products get expanded into different markets, get developed, get copied and changed, and get cheaper. How it is is not necessarily how it will be.

It’s not to say it will necessarily succeed, but current price and design aren’t necessarily a barrier to a product succeeding. If there’s a market for them, you’ll see copies being produced in china or wherever and sold online for <$100, possibly with changeable CO2 cartridges and swappable air bags in designer colors.

Caaveman82
    Participant

People always assume that because they are not the target market for a certain product that it is stupid or won’t work.

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.