Greenway Assaults Gmap

This topic contains 12 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by Avatar of liquified liquified 2 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    shishi
    Participant

This will be an extremely useful map in so many ways.

Thanks

ok-good
    Participant

I combed through the greenway assault posts here and updated the gmap. I also included the day of the week and the temp so we can see if there are any trends.

voidoid21
    Participant

Yes, thanks.

I don’t mean to derail this thread, but have there been no known incidents on the Cedar Lake Trail in the environs of 394 this year?

There’s usually a couple. . .

Sandwhichcats
    Participant

Interesting patterns. No incidents after 11:30ish?

Danger zone seems to be between 7:30-10:30.

I’m still surprised anyone would be out jiving people on the greenway at 15 degrees.

dasunt
    Participant

I took the Spring Lake(?name) spur off the Cedar yesterday.

The low bridge (394?) kind of worried me, I’m a little surprised there has been no incidents there.

clasigmund
    Participant

Rode from St. Paul to Edina at 11:00 PM. Took Minnehaha Pkway to 50th. for the sole purpose of avoiding part of the Greenway that late at night.

I sent an e-mail to sign up for patrolling the Greenway, but haven’t heard back. Any news on the success of civilian patrols?

G.-Hoffman
    Participant

@clasigmund wrote:

Rode from St. Paul to Edina at 11:00 PM. Took Minnehaha Pkway to 50th. for the sole purpose of avoiding part of the Greenway that late at night.

I sent an e-mail to sign up for patrolling the Greenway, but haven’t heard back. Any news on the success of civilian patrols?

Heck yes, it’s been a success. What email address did you send to? It should be trailwatch midtowngreenway org. The folks at the office have been a bit hectic of late, but I’m probably going to be taking over a lot of that stuff soon, so feel free to send again (or else, I might find it when I get access to the email account). You should also feel free to show up for any of the current rides. We’ve got rides going most of the week, and though we can always use more volunteers, I really do believe it is making a difference.

Gabriel

clasigmund
    Participant

Thanks for the update. I received a few private messages with more specific info and a link to the waiver. I hope to try volunteering once a week once I move into my new house (the week of the 10th). So the 17 or 18th… I hope.

katiemg
    Participant

Excerpt from http://www.ci.minneapolis.mn.us/police/crimealert/index.asp” onclick=”window.open(this.href);return false;

(2009)
    On 10/28 at 10:15 p.m., victim was riding his bicycle home and was near E. 32nd St. and Oakland Ave.
    when three unknown suspects “charged” at him, causing him to fall and hit his head on the pavement. Victim
    was then robbed at gunpoint. Suspects are described as three black males, age 14-17 years, wearing
    hooded white, gray, and black sweatshirts respectively.

On 10/28 at 10:40 p.m., victim was riding his bike near Powderhorn Park when five unknown suspects
    kicked the front tire of his bike, causing him to fall and hit his head on the concrete. Suspects dragged the
    victim toward the tennis court. Victim lost consciousness after being kicked in the head and awoke to find his
    property missing. One suspect was armed with a gun. Suspects are described as five black males, age 17-
    20 years wearing hooded sweatshirts.

Two additional and very similar robberies occurred the next day with pedestrians.

Anonymous
    Participant

@katiemg wrote:

Excerpt from http://www.ci.minneapolis.mn.us/police/crimealert/index.asp” onclick=”window.open(this.href);return false;

(2009)
    On 10/28 at 10:15 p.m., victim was riding his bicycle home and was near E. 32nd St. and Oakland Ave.
    when three unknown suspects “charged” at him, causing him to fall and hit his head on the pavement. Victim
    was then robbed at gunpoint. Suspects are described as three black males, age 14-17 years, wearing
    hooded white, gray, and black sweatshirts respectively.

On 10/28 at 10:40 p.m., victim was riding his bike near Powderhorn Park when five unknown suspects
    kicked the front tire of his bike, causing him to fall and hit his head on the concrete. Suspects dragged the
    victim toward the tennis court. Victim lost consciousness after being kicked in the head and awoke to find his
    property missing. One suspect was armed with a gun. Suspects are described as five black males, age 17-
    20 years wearing hooded sweatshirts.

Two additional and very similar robberies occurred the next day with pedestrians.

But none of these was on the Greenway, which continues (according to police) to be safer than the surrounding neighborhoods.

hereNT
    Participant

I made a different map for those incidents, there’s another thread around, too:

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=106648150321779571379.0004772bc47c44a115b6c&z=15” onclick=”window.open(this.href);return false;

liquified
    Participant

Why are these still stickies if the data in them is extremely outdated? Regardless, I don’t see how these maps are very constructive other than to incite irrational fear if they are not actively maintained and no followup is done as to the status of the victims and MPD arrests. People should instead be looking at MPD crime maps and reading their local paper. Sharing anecdotal evidence is great, not every crime goes reported nor can be, but crime isn’t static.

http://www.ci.minneapolis.mn.us/police/crime-statistics/codefor/

Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.