Go-Fast Bike Recommendation

This topic contains 36 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by Avatar of ChrisAdyNelson ChrisAdyNelson 1 year, 4 months ago.

• Creator
    Topic
    ChrisAdyNelson
    Participant

I’m hoping/dreaming of getting a fast road bike set up. It would be purely for fast road ride, but no ‘real’ racer. For example, I like the Surly Pacer and All-City Mr. Pink. Not the bike for a Lance-wanna-be, but faster than my daily commuter. Striped-down to basics, light-weight components, but still durable. I would like to keep it local, but I’m open to bikes from far and wide. I don’t want to spend over $2,000 complete (preferable around $1,500).

Let me know what you’ve ridden and loved.

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Volsung
    Participant

If you’re not riding long distances, don’t discount aluminum frame/carbon fork. Much less flexy than steel.

EDIT- I’m glad I didn’t sell my specialized Allez. The new 2013 Allez Race seems pretty f’n sweet too.

ChrisAdyNelson
    Participant

My wife has 2 bikes with the AL frame with CF fork, I am a fan and that set up is on my list (likely Felt, Marin or Kona). I’d love to buy from a local brand, which is going to be steel… Or am I missing a local brand with this set up?

omgmrj
    Participant

The Pacer and Mr. Pink are both good options, though I’d prefer the latter. There’s also the Salsa Colossal, which has dick breaks.

ChrisAdyNelson
    Participant

Jon, it looks like most steel frames are only 1 to 2 lbs heavier than the aluminum frames. Let me know more about what your thinking.

Zombinate, for this bike, local is local brand. I know that most of the local brands are import frames. Peacock Groove, et. al. are very interesting, but I don’t think they will fit the budget.

I will definitely take a shop tour to check out the discount racks. I have done very well in the past buying old stock bikes.

I’ve read a number of debates about steel versus aluminum frames for flex, ride-comfort, and power-transfer. I haven’t had a steel frame in 25 years, and that was a life-time ago in bike frame tech. So I really have nothing to base it on. Let me know if you have biked new steel and aluminum road bikes, what are your thoughts?

ChrisAdyNelson
    Participant

@ebbmart wrote:

What size are you looking for?
    I have a surprisingly light Lemond from a few years back… pretty sure it is 831. Carbon fork. Super agile with tight front end geometry.
    http://mplsbikelove.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=23847

Nice offer, thank you! A little on the small side, I’d like 56 to 58… but a great price! I’ll touch base with you once the $$ is available (don’t hold your breath) and a least take a test ride to see if I could work with the size.

Caaveman82
    Participant

Think back to your intro physics class in college man.

1 – 2 lbs on the frame is nothing.

Take that weight off the wheels and you are in business. Rotational weight is heavier due to the apparent weight while the wheel is spinning, bro.

If I were going to build up a bike just to be fast, I would choose an inexpensive steel frame (less flex in the bottom bracket than aluminum and also BB70 will be dead soon) and then sink the money into a nice ass wheel set. Throw a nice SRAM grouppo on there and you’re set.

omgmrj
    Participant

@Caaveman82 wrote:

SRAM grouppo

Is that like a Campagnolo group?

ChrisAdyNelson
    Participant

@Caaveman82 wrote:

Think back to your intro physics class in college man.

That was a long time ago …. and a lot of beers.

@Caaveman82 wrote:

Take that weight off the wheels and you are in business. Rotational weight is heavier due to the apparent weight while the wheel is spinning, bro.

Exactly my thoughts… just wanted to make sure all that beer hadn’t washed away my college learnings.

omgmrj
    Participant

Boom. So fast.

ChrisAdyNelson
    Participant

NAILED IT!!! Exactly the bike I was planning to build!

It totally makes sense to have flat-bars with aero spokes.

giddything
    Participant

@ebbmart wrote:

Gawd I love brake cables haphazardly wrapped around frame tubes…

You can put tinsel around them for the holidays!

Caaveman82
    Participant

@omgmrj wrote:

@Caaveman82 wrote:
    SRAM grouppo

No, it is better, costs 1/4 as much and breaks half as often. You also can get parts readily available instead of having to wait 3 – 4 weeks for a small insignificant part.

Sorry Takumar, I know you love that trash.

omgmrj
    Participant

@Caaveman82 wrote:

@omgmrj wrote:
    @Caaveman82 wrote:
    SRAM grouppo

No, it is better, costs 1/4 as much and breaks half as often. You also can get parts readily available instead of having to wait 3 – 4 weeks for a small insignificant part.

Sorry Takumar, I know you love that trash.

My point was lost on you.

Caaveman82
    Participant

@omgmrj wrote:

My point was lost on you.

No I got it, I just took it a different direction because I didn’t really care all that much… sorry?

phaedrus
    Participant
Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 36 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.