Freewheel/hub frozen

This topic contains 8 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Avatar of lsboogy lsboogy 1 year, 9 months ago.

• Creator
    Topic
    ChrisAdyNelson
    Participant

I took my bike out this morning and my freehub was not engaging – turn pedals/chain and nothing is transferred to the rear wheel. My guess is that the pawls are frozen and are not engaging.

I cleaned the chain on Sunday and today was the first ride since the cleaning. I used hot water to rinse the chain. I did have the bike in the basement for an hour or two, but put back in the garage after lubing the chain.

I have the bike in the basement again now… Will letting the bike warm up and dry out resolve the issue? Or do I need to clean and re-lube the freehub? I don’t think I have the tools I need to clean the freehub…

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    cheffelipe

In my experience it is a rather common occurrence during the coldest days.

Part of the reason I usually ride fixed during the winter.

I know some people have had good luck replacing the lube with a lighter weight variety, but that isn’t an easy job to do.

If you have a SS, the lower quality cogs are more likely to freeze. I haven’t had my White Industries EVER freeze on me, not even at -17.

omgmrj
    Participant

I find it troublesome that no one has yet suggested peeing on it.

ChrisAdyNelson
    Participant

@omgmrj wrote:

LOVE IT!! It’s right out of my grandpa’s bag o’ tricks!

I didn’t think of it until later, I had hot coffee in my bag, but that just seems desperate… wasting coffee like that.

Caaveman82
    Participant

@ChrisAdyNelson wrote:

@omgmrj wrote:

I didn’t think of it until later, I had hot coffee in my bag, but that just seems desperate… wasting coffee like that.

You drink the hot coffee so you have ammo to pee on it.

ChrisAdyNelson
    Participant

@Caaveman82 wrote:

@ChrisAdyNelson wrote:
    @omgmrj wrote:

You drink the hot coffee so you have ammo to pee on it.

Grandpa… Is that you???

No kidding, this is almost exactly the conversation I had with my grandpa when I was 16 years old. I was helping him build fence line, the area was very sandy and it was a dry summer. He was using an auger on this tracker to dig the holes, but we hit a place when the sand filled the hole immediately. Grandpa told me we needed to get the sand wet so he was going to get some beer. I asked why he would pour beer in the hole and he explained… You drink the beer and piss in the hole!

Back on subject, Joel at The Alt replaced and regreased the rear hub while I watched. Worked great this AM. Now I need a really cold morning to test it.

On another note, when washing the bike, I will not rinse it by pouring a bucket of water all over it, need to keep the water to a minimum! Lessons learned the hard way!

omgmrj
    Participant

steef
    Participant

@cheffelipe wrote:

If you have a SS, the lower quality cogs are more likely to freeze. I haven’t had my White Industries EVER freeze on me, not even at -17.

I expected better out of you. :evil:

lsboogy
    Participant

@steef wrote:

@cheffelipe wrote:

I expected better out of you. :evil:

I concur with cheffelipe – I ride White’s most of the time – when you get bad knees your fixed riding time goes down, and I have never had a White freeze up in the winter

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.