F*ck the Police

This topic contains 90 replies, has 44 voices, and was last updated by Avatar of SkrnyGphr SkrnyGphr 4 years, 9 months ago.

• Creator
    Topic
    oste0174
    Participant

Two tickets today. Biking down nicollet during rush hour and no brakes. I don’t understand why some cops are assholes for no reason.

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 90 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    hereNT
    Participant

When they got me for riding Nicollet Mall, they said if I had of just pled ignorance they wouldn’t have given me the ticket. Never gotten one for no brakes, but I’d guess if you were a dick to the cop when he pulled you over, he added that for the fun of it.

There is a reason for the ban, btw. I guess there were people dying because they were trying to bust the lights and squeeze around the busses back in the day…

steef
    Participant

@oste0174 wrote:

Two tickets today. Biking down nicollet during rush hour and no brakes. I don’t understand why some cops are assholes for no reason.

Sounds like you were breaking the law and the cop was doing his job. :evil:

kn_mpls
    Participant

@steef wrote:

Sounds like you were breaking the law and the cop was doing his job. :evil:

This.

hotwater
    Participant

@oste0174 wrote:

I don’t understand why some cops are assholes for no reason.

he wouldnt be a cop if he wasnt an asshole.

regexp
    Participant

@oste0174 wrote:

You deserved the ticket. Don’t ride down Nicollet Mall during rush hour. Its stupid. The ban on bikes during business hours makes sense in this case. And personally it sounds like you were being the asshole.

(most cops in this city are decent unfortunately there are quite a few that shouldn’t ever be put in any position of power)

vlado4
    Participant

Yes, cops are always assholes. Harassing the poor innocent citizens. Also we live in a police state.

Yawn……

Be a man/woman and suck it up. If you were breaking a rule, admit it and pay the ticket.

If you don’t like the rule, write to city hall or your city council person to change it.

I for one, gladly accept the tickets I get. 95% of the time, they are totally my fault. No need to blame someone else for my stupidity.

Lol @ the title of this forum post.

kuando
    Participant

I’ve had more good encounters with police than bad. To break a law intentionally takes work.

eviljelly
    Participant

I’ve had more bad encounters with police than bad, including ones where I didn’t do anything wrong and plenty where the cops didn’t want to do shit for me and/or my girlfriend even when we were victims of crimes.

However, I still agree with everyone who says oste0174 was at fault here.

kn_mpls
    Participant

I’m not sure if you were an asshole to this cop or not, but I’m assuming you were based on your post and the fact that you managed to get two tickets. Just remember that when you give the police shit they’re going to take it out on the next guy. In this case it will probably be another cyclist unwittingly riding on the mall.

Jerbear
    Participant

@oste0174 wrote:

…no brakes…

How is brake defined? Legs + drivetrain fit Webster’s definition.

@MN Statues 169.222 Subd. 6 (b) wrote:

No person shall operate a bicycle unless it is equipped with a brake which will enable the operator to make the braked wheels skid on dry, level, clean pavement.

I’ve ridden plenty of shitty bikes whose brakes came nowhere close to skidding the tires. Do the police check the brakes of every old Schwinn to make sure they’re up to code?

batjerk
    Participant

@Jerbear wrote:

@oste0174 wrote:
    …no brakes…

How is brake defined? Legs + drivetrain fit Webster’s definition.

No person shall operate a bicycle unless it is equipped with a brake which will enable the operator to make the braked wheels skid on dry, level, clean pavement.

I’ve ridden plenty of shitty bikes whose brakes came nowhere close to skidding the tires. Do the police check the brakes of every old Schwinn to make sure they’re up to code?

That law about skidding the braked wheel is kinda stupid, actually. I can’t skid my front wheel on dry, level, clean pavement. I go OTB before that tire loses traction in those conditions.

steef
    Participant

You have to put your weight really far back to do front brake skids. Look for a patch of sand on the pavement or a wet spot. I usually test front brakes by doing an endo on the bike, though.

kn_mpls
    Participant

You could probably go to the court hearing and explain how stopping on a fixed gear bike works and have that one dropped. I don’t know how the hearings work but you’d probably have to hang out for a while before it’s your turn on your date.
    I doubt fixies were taken into account when the law was written. I’m guessing the intent of the statute is to prohibit people from riding bikes with no way to stop.
    That said, I still wonder if the cop gave the no-brake ticket right away or if heshe gave it after taking some lip while giving the no-riding-on-the-mall ticket.

steef
    Participant

steef
    Participant
Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 90 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.