DIY fenders.

This topic contains 8 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by Avatar of Reverborama Reverborama 1 year, 4 months ago.

• Creator
    Topic
    Caaveman82
    Participant

I am interested in creating a set of full coverage fenders for my fat bike.

I am mostly having trouble with material choice for these. I would like to make with something recycled. Ideas I have found on the internet include:

- Plastic barrels
    - Corrugated plastic
    - Old rain gutters, etc.
    - Scrap metal (aluminium)

I would like it to be some what light but sturdy too, so middle road I guess. Any ideas or input would be much appreciated.

I am not really concerned about mounting hardware as that is usually pretty easy to figure out. Making brackets and such is fairly straight forward.

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    kn_mpls
    Participant

Go with papier-mâché over chicken wire and sculpt them up à la Heart of the Beast or GWAR. Just make sure you apply a healthy coat of shellac.

Chilly-Willy
    Participant

Right now is the perfect time to pick up a bunch of free corrugated plastic and wire. All the political signs have suddenly become trash. Coroplast is strong and easy to cut/work with.
    Do a little searching on the R/C airplane forums for techniques for working with it. Packing tape sticks to it really well.

Squire-Quigley
    Participant

Quick thought: how about corrugated drain tile? This is the black plastic corrugated piping used underground to drain water away from building foundations. It’s super tough, but cuts easily with hand and power tools. I think its available in 4 and 6 inch flavors, perforated or not. Available at places like Menards. It’s pretty stiff in short sections – I don’t think it would flop around.

Caaveman82
    Participant

@Squire Quigley wrote:

Quick thought: how about corrugated drain tile? This is the black plastic corrugated piping used underground to drain water away from building foundations. It’s super tough, but cuts easily with hand and power tools. I think its available in 4 and 6 inch flavors, perforated or not. Available at places like Menards. It’s pretty stiff in short sections – I don’t think it would flop around.

I like the cut of your jib. I’m gonna check this out at Menards tomorrow.

Takumar
    Participant

just go buy some carbon fabric, some epoxy, and laminate some fenders. I’m only partially kidding, Berthoud makes carbon fenders for little skinny tires, but doesn’t this seem like a more logical application?

FreeRangeZombie
    Participant

Volsung
    Participant

Did you check out bigomfg.com? He’s outa Brooklyn Park and makes some sweet fat fenders

Reverborama

@Shizzy wrote:

I’d be on the look out for a busted set of these.

http://ecom1.planetbike.com/7057_5.html

I have a set on my Beater winter bike and the adjustable rod mounting system would work great swapped over to your material of choice for the fenders.

I got a set of these for my 29′er with the 55mm wide tires. The stainless rods were not long enough for the fenders to clear studded tires. I went to the hardware store and got some brass rod of the same diameter. I was able to bend it up with a pair of needlenose pliers and a vise. Works great.

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.