Cranksgiving MPLS — 21 Nov

This topic contains 53 replies, has 22 voices, and was last updated by Avatar of eviljelly eviljelly 5 years ago.

• Creator
    Topic
    don-king-kong
    Participant

UPDATE: less words, more pictures

********** CRANKSGIVING MPLS **********

poster by B3n Alp3rt!

Hey there Bike Lovers.

I don’t post much on here*, and don’t even really do that great a job of lurking, but dammit I love bikes, and I love Thanksgiving.

Anyway, here’s the deal: my friend Brean (CHI messenger) has been throwing a race in Chicago called Cranksgiving for a few years now, inspired by the OG Cranksgiving in NYC, where he used to mess. I noticed that MPLS didn’t have such a thing, and I figured there’d be a place for it.

If you’re not familiar with CG, it’s a food drive/alleycat, where are all the checkpoints are grocery stores, and your manifest is a bunch of food and a stack of receipts. All proceeds go to a local charity (SECOND HARVEST, in this case).

Prizes go to the fastest AND the most generous. Tear-ass around the city with a bag full of food and get in first? Awesome, here’s a prize! Chug around slow-and-steady with a heaping pile of goods for some families that would really appreciate it? Haul/buy enough and there’s a prize for that, too!

CRANKSGIVING MPLS
    Sat, 21 Nov
    2:30pm registration, 3pm race/ride
    Gold Medal Park
    ~13 miles if you do it right

if you’re interested in helping, have questions, or just want to say ‘hey,’ email

cranksgivingmpls [at] g mail dot commmmmmmmm

*for those that might know me: I’m Evan, the stray medical student who shows up at stuff whenever they let me off the reservation. whuddup

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 53 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    KatieSpagget
    Participant

I’m so happy Minneapolis is gonna have this now! What a fantastic idea. Thank you!

Zebrakeys
    Participant

This is a fantastic idea. Wasn’t there a christmas race last year with a similar theme, but with toys? I’ll definitely be there.

don-king-kong
    Participant

Thanks, ppl!

There very well may have been a similar race for Xmas last year, but I was probably tooling in the histology lab or something at the time, so who knows

theendofpangaea
    Participant

@don king kong wrote:

Thanks, ppl!
    I was probably tooling in the histology lab

Histology?!?!?!? :grin: :grin: :grin:
    We need to meet. I’m my lab’s IHC master.

edit: will be attending. yay.

@Zebrakeys wrote:

This is a fantastic idea. Wasn’t there a christmas race last year with a similar theme, but with toys? I’ll definitely be there.

‘Twas Alleydazzle.

tonychrenka
    Participant

Wow wish i had an xtra cycle for this race. Sounds super fun. Im going to try to aquire a trailer by then.

Gambler
    Participant

I am totally in…I am going to see if i can acquire a burley…

sser
    Participant

i plan on being there with burley in tow.

Petah
    Participant

@theendofpangaea wrote:

@don king kong wrote:
    Thanks, ppl!
    I was probably tooling in the histology lab

Histology?!?!?!? :grin: :grin: :grin:
    We need to meet. I’m my lab’s IHC master.

edit: will be attending. yay.

Hire me!

I don’t have specific immunohistochemistry exp, but I am totes savvy with a pipetter.

Oh, looking forward to this race.

envirosprite
    Participant

Wonderful!
    I’m going to try and put together an LVC team, and then raise $$, because none of us have any money because we’re volunteers. But hurrah for biking and giving at once!

don-king-kong
    Participant

Hey y’all,

Thanks for the positive responses! I’ve been buried under exams for the past week or so, but progress is being made, details soon!

E

kn_mpls
    Participant

I’m going to try to participate if I’m in town. Either way I have two trailers. I’m willing to lend one out for this event (or both if I can’t attend myself). PM as the date nears.

don-king-kong
    Participant

Hey all

Apologies for the lack of updates, school has been kicking my ass.

Anyway: it looks like the Coffee Cat is now happening on the same evening, but don’t let that deter you—it may be possible to do both!

I’m thinking we’ll start Cranksgiving a little earlier in the afternoon, which will give racers/riders the opportunity to make it to the Coffee Cat if they’ve still got some juice in the tank after hauling food around. Also daylight hours will make the ride a little more palatable to your non-hardcore pals that I just ~know~ you want to invite along.

Start will be at Gold Medal Park, which is centrally located to most of the grocery stores we’ve got picked out. Routing ought to be straight forward, and most permutations will check in at around 13 miles, so it shouldn’t be a killer or anything. Still, with grocery stops, it’ll take a bit longer than usual.

Flier should be up soon, bring at least $15 in cash (it’s all for charity!), and get on Santa’s good list while there’s still time.

don-king-kong
    Participant

Here, um, are two OTHER flyers just in case you need, uh, something to look at

Radlerin

Nobody get distracted by those super groovy fliers,
    which are apparently for the wrong city…?

CRANKSGIVING MPLS
    Sat, 21 Nov
    2:30pm registration, 3pm race/ride
    Gold Medal Park

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 53 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.