CraknBros Eggbeater pedals

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Avatar of sbs-z31 sbs-z31 1 year, 10 months ago.

• Creator
    Topic
    sbs-z31
    Participant

I just bought a pair of CrankBros Eggbeater pedals and went on a ride today. I dont have any other cycling shoes besides my Shimano road shoes so I used them today with the CrankBros cleats and notice there is way too much float for my liking. I’m not sure if it was the shoes I was using but are these Eggbeater pedals suppose to have a lot of float? The only real issue I had today was one of the tension spring popped out of place causing hard engagement and a lot slop when pedaling. Should I try to push the tension spring back in place or bring them back to the lbs where I bought them from? I bought them on Friday and didn’t ride them til today. I really like the simplicity of these pedals so maybe someone could help me figure out these issues before I switch back to spd.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    omgmrj
    Participant

Eggbeaters are made for three things: light weight, easy engagement, debris shedding. They are not designed for things like adjustability and durability.

sbs-z31
    Participant

@ebbmart wrote:

I do know that (some of) the cleats are asymetric, so if you switch them between left and right shoes, they have more, or less float. I think the dotted cleat on the left is for less float.
    RE: the spring – yes, take them back to the LBS. That doesnt sound like it should happen.

Thanks and yeah I took them back and warranty out. I’ll give them another try with some Converse Chuck Taylors high tops that I converted to clipless and will report back.

sbs-z31
    Participant

Here’s my clipless Converse, just went for a test ride with these shoes and the Eggbeater pedals. Now they’re starting to feel more comfortable and I think I’ll keep them.

sbs-z31
    Participant

Well I went for a test ride last night and I’m in love with them now with my clipless Converse. I’m actually thinking about picking up the Eggbeater 3 to put on my main bike and move these to my winter bike.

sbs-z31
    Participant

Thanks for the links man but do you know if the pedals have to be CrankBros pedals for the upgrade deal?

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.