Boots for mashers

This topic contains 9 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by Avatar of cheffelipe cheffelipe 1 year, 9 months ago.

• Creator
    Topic
    ACBC
    Participant

Looking for recommendations for a good, low profile, cold weather boot. Nothing too bulky but warm enough for -10. I’m a masher so no clip in boots.

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    RiverRat
    Participant

I just run a good pair of hunting boots. Check out your local Red Wing shoe store for a quality boot. The ones I have now have the least amount of thinsulate for hunting boots (I think it was 400 gram) and seem to be plenty if I keep moving. Standing on a frozen lake, they lack a bit.

Caaveman82
    Participant

I would recommend something for snow shoeing as it will probably keep your foot dry much better.

Like these:

http://www.rei.com/product/836966/vasque-snow-junkie-ultradry-winter-boots-mens

I tried them on and they are toasty and fairly light weight. They would not be good for standing around in really cold temps, but as long as you were moving you would be golden.

omgmrj
    Participant

When did flat-pedalers stop wearing Sorels?

jimh
    Participant

@omgmrj wrote:

Gratuitous. IMHO, clipless/cleats are nothing but a liability in the winter.

Caaveman82
    Participant

@jimh wrote:

@omgmrj wrote:

Gratuitous. IMHO, clipless/cleats are nothing but a liability in the winter.

I cant operate without being clipped in. Ill never be able to get that townie I’ve always wanted unless I put some spds on it.

edited for human elements

omgmrj
    Participant
    Volsung
    Participant

I used Saloman Toundras last year. They’re taller but are extremely lightweight, have a stiff sole, and reflective accents.

FreeRangeZombie
    Participant

I have a pair of Zambers and some smartwool mountaineers. does me good.

cheffelipe

I’ve used a pair of cold weather boots from Kaplan Brothers for the past couple of years and they have served me well. Only gripe would be they are too flexy.

Radlerin has a nice pair of Keens that she swears by.

Last year was so mild I wore my Lakes most of the year.

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.