Bikes prohibited at Wells Fargo drive-thru downtown

This topic contains 17 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by Avatar of slowpoke slowpoke 1 year, 6 months ago.

• Creator
    Topic
    SDHO
    Participant

I was at the Elliot Park Wells Fargo (at 8th and Park) today, biking through the drive-through ATM. After I’d completed my deposit, I noticed this sign, already turned around:

So… what the hell?

1. I am aware that many other forms of drive-through businesses, like fast food restaurants, suffer from some misguided notion that cars going 10-20 mph in a guided lane in a parking lot somehow pose unimaginable danger to cyclists, easily capable of going 10-20 mph in a guided lane in a parking lot.

2. Unlike a fast food restaurant or pharmacy, there is no opportunity for enforcement. Like, it’s an ATM. It can’t exactly refuse service to you on the offense that you’re not in a car. So even if such a policy actually did enhance safety (it obviously doesn’t), it can’t really do that if there’s no way to prevent cyclists like me from using the ATM.

3. I’ve been a Norwest/Wells Fargo customer for most of my life, and used countless drive-through ATMs — and quite regularly use one in way more automotive areas than downtown, like 66th and Nicollet or 31st and Blaisdell. I have never had even a “close call” or remote safety discomfort — much less an actual accident. And I’ve never seen a sign prohibiting bicycles.

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    SDHO
    Participant

I called the branch and complained. The woman said that “technically we don’t allow it”, but since there’s no other walk-up ATM, they wouldn’t enforce it.

Gee.

omgmrj
    Participant

Yeah, I bike and walk to that ATM all the time. No problems.

Svenn
    Participant

Madder than fish grease

Side note: 365 comments!

jimh
    Participant

Jerks. I frequently use an ATM on my bike.

There’s no valid reason for this. I’d bet $10 it’s because some drivers complained. And of course the corporate lawyers were consulted, and they issued their standard reply which was ‘put up a sign saying we don’t allow that’.

There’s obviously no enforcement so all it means is if a driver mashes into you while blabbering on the phone or yelling at their kids, the bank AND the driver have no liability. Standard operating procedure for dealing with cyclists.

JenNastix
    Participant

Yeah, just use it. I mean, most bank employees aren’t going to come out there and fight you. MOST.

omgmrj
    Participant

This post works in so many threads:
    @JenNastix wrote:

Honest question, bear with me….

You guys ever wonder if we’re over-thinking this bike riding thing sometimes?

JenNastix
    Participant

hahahaha, if I had a nickel for every time somebody yelled at me for ignoring a sign, I’d have a sock full of nickels for dealing with people who yell me for ignoring signs.

ChrisAdyNelson
    Participant

Its for your safety!

jitterjepp
    Participant

This is all pretty silly. I cant help but wonder if this isn’t due to concerns about robbery. It would be pretty difficult to grab at someone in a drive-thru window if you were sitting in a car but if you were standing there in front of the window I think it would be easier.

This isn’t going to happen at a bank because all the transactions are done with money logs that are delivered through the money log habitrail. At a fast food joint it’s totally different. Maybe the same rules were just transferred to banks because…just because….

This thing has been beat to death on this website. It’s a stupid rule for banks at least. You can’t claim that you’re trying to end the risk of hazards to cyclists and pedestrians when the same people are still allowed to walk and ride in the other 95% of your lot. If anything in the drive-thru they are going slower because they have to make sure they don’t hit concrete filled poles and the money machine.

jitterjepp
    Participant

@zombinate wrote:

@jitterjepp wrote:
    This is all pretty silly. I cant help but wonder if this isn’t due to concerns about robbery. It would be pretty difficult to grab at someone in a drive-thru window if you were sitting in a car but if you were standing there in front of the window I think it would be easier.

This isn’t going to happen at a bank because all the transactions are done with money logs that are delivered through the money log habitrail. At a fast food joint it’s totally different. Maybe the same rules were just transferred to banks because…just because….

This thing has been beat to death on this website. It’s a stupid rule for banks at least. You can’t claim that you’re trying to end the risk of hazards to cyclists and pedestrians when the same people are still allowed to walk and ride in the other 95% of your lot. If anything in the drive-thru they are going slower because they have to make sure they don’t hit concrete filled poles and the money machine.

the robbery consideration falls away if they allow motorcycles and scooters. I wonder if they will help out if you are on horseback, you would need to dismount to use the device.

Someone can grab at a person through a window easier or the same while on a 350 lb. motorcycle as they can on foot or on a bicycle? No.

I’m simply trying to guess what they are thinking because the safety argument falls apart faster than the robbery theory.

RiverRat
    Participant

@jitterjepp wrote:

Someone can grab at a person through a window easier or the same while on a 350 lb. motorcycle as they can on foot or on a bicycle? No.

Not necessarily (but still quite easy compared to through a car window), but it is super easy to put the kick stand down and step off. Or if you have a passenger, they can grab and you can drive off.

SDHO
    Participant

As of Wednesday, the sign is still there, even turned forward so it’s actually visible to incoming traffic. I suggest ignoring it. I’ll be continuing to turn it around to face backwards.

ChrisAdyNelson
    Participant

@Volsung wrote:

WOTF to C…y Mc…t who backed her fucking dumb car into me in the Wells Fargo drive through. If I had lesser tires I may have bent a rim.

It appears Volsung has found out why drive-throughs are not safe on a bike… additionally, found out what words some people are offended by.

(I have edited the words in question, I’ve already had my issues with word-choice this week and do not want to reopen the issue. Feel free to check out Tip O’ the Hat, Wag O’ the Finger for the whole story and add any comments on the word issue there. I don’t want to hijack this thread, too).

jitterjepp
    Participant

@RiverRat wrote:

@jitterjepp wrote:

Not necessarily (but still quite easy compared to through a car window), but it is super easy to put the kick stand down and step off. Or if you have a passenger, they can grab and you can drive off.

Just real quick -

Passengers on a motorcycle do not contribute to balance. The best you can hope for is that they sit still and stay centered. Playing cowboy wont help keep the motorcycle upright.

Dismounting a motorcycle and putting the kickstand down is not faster than standing over a bicycle. Getting away may be faster but not stopping and doing all that. A motorcycle is also harder to pick up if it does tip over. There are other things like not being able to lift the front of the average street bike up and move it sideways and such but whats the point in getting into all that when the first parts doesn’t work either.

None of this really matters though because this doesn’t apply to a bank drive-thru. They don’t have windows that open and close.

I’m also not here to argue all this stuff. I’m just guessing what they think because I can’t make sense of the logic they present. I’m looking for other reasons since what they claim doesn’t match. This is the best I can come up with. It can’t be about getting more business. Businesses like to make money. It’s what they are supposed to do. If they turn it away I assume it’s for logical reasons and maybe the reason they give you aren’t what they really mean. Kind of like profiling I guess. Maybe there were a string of on foot robberies with drive-thru windows in the past.

I don’t know?

slowpoke
    Participant

This moronic “cars only” policy for ATM’s is just as irrittating for pedestrians as it is for bikes. This is especially true of the Wells Fargo on 8th and Portland downtown because this bank has no outside ATM besides the “Drive Up”. My solution to this problem has been to turn the free standing sign around and then carry on my transaction.

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.