Bike help for beer

This topic contains 9 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Avatar of giddything giddything 1 year, 11 months ago.

• Creator
    Topic
    giddything
    Participant

Important things first: I live down the street from Falls Liquor. I don’t drink much, but my selection is very good. :)

So, I bought a 1989 lugged steel bike on eBay (Terry Gambit, 24″ front wheel). Would someone be willing to take a look at it for me and help assemble it from the shipping in exchange for beer or equivalent?

It’s intended as a project bike, so I’m not asking for a full tune-up or anything stupid like that — I just want to make sure there’s nothing I need to argue with the seller about, and get a sense whether it will fit me once I replace the stem. I’ve done the tune-up and overhaul classes, but on newer mountain bikes.

I could take it to Grease Rag, and in fact I will, but don’t want to wait that long to contact the seller if needed. Any weeknight or most of the weekend would be great.

I don’t have a bike stand yet. I do have a coupleof multitools and a pump. Several people from BikeLove have met me and lived to tell the tale.

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    timonster77
    Participant

I may be able to free up some time and get dirty hands for a cider.
    I suppose you will want to test ride afterwards.
    Anybody else down for a apple-y libation and a ride?

giddything
    Participant

@timonster77 wrote:

I may be able to free up some time and get dirty hands for a cider.
    I suppose you will want to test ride afterwards.
    Anybody else down for a apple-y libation and a ride?

Wow! It’s amazing how fast “free beer” gets help. Like magic.

I actually already made arrangements, but a cider ride would still be fun.

DangHeim
    Participant

@giddything wrote:

Several people from BikeLove have met me and lived to tell the tale.

I made it out alive. Barely, but I made it.

giddything
    Participant

@DangHeim wrote:

@giddything wrote:
    Several people from BikeLove have met me and lived to tell the tale.

I made it out alive. Barely, but I made it.

That’s what you think.

giddything
    Participant

Thanks so much to Snak Shak for bringing his toolkit and helping with the tiny bicycle!

We got it going for a test ride; I’ll want to replace the front brake cable before any serious riding, but it’s really nice. Finally an 80s road bike for me!

Sadly, there is no such thing as a 24×1 studded tire (23-520), or I would make this a winter bike. As it is, I think I might experiment with fixed gear.

giddything
    Participant

@Olag55 wrote:

You could make your own studded tire for it.

I could! But a) those seem to do best starting with knobby tread, and I didn’t find that either and b) they’re apparently not that great anyhow.

If I’m wrong, lemme know.

Takumar
    Participant

@Olag55 wrote:

I am pretty sure you can sink screws into any type of tire. Then just take an old tube to slice open and use as a liner between the tire and your tube. There are lots of DIY studded tire sites out there. It just takes some time to sink all the screws in.

and what you get, unfortunately,is a tire that is great for riding on pure ice (e.g. ice racing), not the streets. It’s hard enough to find a good studded tire for street conditions in 700.

giddything
    Participant

There’s also the rivet option. I think I have a riveter around here somewhere.

Anyway, it’s all academic for a while; first, I want to strip the bike and framesaver it, and then rebuild it and add fenders* & racks & probably a chain guard. And then I can consider the DIY studded front tire for next winter. This will all take a while, because I’m busy and still learning this wrenching business.

* The Internets tell me a fender built for a recumbent bike should work for the front wheel. So that is what I will try.

giddything
    Participant

Thanks!

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.